1 postdoctoral research position, Employing multiphoton quantum interference
- UNIVERSITY OF WARSAW
- Warsaw, Poland
- 07 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 23 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science, Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics, Physics & Astronomy
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Postdocs, Research Related, Research Associate, Research Assistants / Officers
- Contract Type
- Full Time
1 postdoctoral research position
in a research project Employing multiphoton quantum interference for selected quantum information processing tasks
funded by (Polish) National Center of Science (2019/34/E/ST2/00273)
Terms of employment
Selected candidate will be employed as full-time researcher (pol. adiunkt). The duration of employment is for 23 months. The expected starting date is around May/June 2023. The offered salary approx. 7000,00 PLN gross/month.
Description of the project
The goal of the project is to deepen our understanding of multiphoton quantum interference, especially in the time domain. Quantum interference is one of the most intriguing phenomena in nature and one of the most important resources of quantum technologies. In the case of temporal platform, a train of narrow single-photon pulses undergo dispersion in a nonlinear medium. Individual pulses start to overlap and interfere. In this project we study this interference towards its applications in quantum computations and quantum simulations of topological materials. This goal is motivated by results obtained in 2019 by Dr. hab. Stobi ska and her collaborators. The first is theoretical and experimental investigation of quantum interference of multiphoton Fock states on a beam splitter and demonstration it instantaneously computes a Quantum Fourier Kravchuk Transform (QKT). This allows one to use this device as an efficient, specialized quantum computer with vast number of applications. The second result is to show that such multiphoton quantum interference enables fast quantum simulations of topological materials, which are characterized by unusual symmetries. These findings constitute starting points for the current project. The project consists of three fascinating Objectives which cover theoretical and experimental study of multiphoton quantum interference, finding links between various optical systems and mathematical operations (transforms) they realize and performing quantum simulations of materials which exhibit topological phase transitions. The results will allow us to understand the essence of complex quantum interference, to systematically enhance the palette of applications of quantum photonic systems and to investigate topological phenomena in new materials.
1. Candidates for the position should have a PhD degree obtained no earlier than 7 years before the starting date of the position. This time can be extended on request by the candidate up to a year per each child born or adopted, which has been under personal care of the applicant.
2. Previous research experience in quantum optics, quantum integrated photonics, quantum information processing, quantum algorithms, quantum simulations.
3. Fluency in written and spoken English (level B2 or C1 at least)
4. Numerical programming practice, good knowledge of mathematical tools (e.g. Matlab or Wolfram Mathematica) and general computer software (e.g. Microsoft Office, Skype) as well as LaTeX typesetting environment.
5. Candidates for the position should be ambitious, hard-working with high motivation for scientific work and strong will for self-development.
6. During the employment period the employee should not obtain salary under an employment contract from any other entity.
7. A Candidate for the position cannot be a person for whom the Principal Investigator was a promoter or assistant promoter.
8. A Candidate for the position cannot be a person who, within the last two years before taking up employment in the project, was employed under a contract of employment, in the entity where the project is implemented.
1. Performing theoretical research under supervision of the principal investigator.
2. Timely achieving scientific goals enumerated in the project research programme.
3. Developing numerical software and performing computations.
4. Studying literature on a regular basis and suggesting solutions to scientific problems.
5. Managing research notes, preparation of publications, conference posters and presentations.
6. Participation in scientific conferences and workshops.
7. Monitoring of the Ph. D. students work.
8. Performing helper organizational and administrative tasks.
In order to apply for the position candidates should send an e-mail entitled POSTDOC to email@example.com and submit the following documents as attached pdf files:
1. a cover letter addressed to the Dean of the Faculty of Mathematics, Informatics and Mechanics, University of Warsaw together with the personal data clause (attached);
2. a copy of the PhD diploma;
3. a scientific CV with a list of publications;
4. at most three recent publications;
5. a brief research statement regarding past and present research (1-2 pages);
6. declaration of awareness and acceptance of competition rules for academic teacher positions at the University of Warsaw (attached).
The competition is open to persons who meet the conditions set out in the Act on Higher Education and Science of July 20, 2018 (Journal of Laws of 2021, item 478, as amended) and the Statute of the University of Warsaw.
Application deadline: March 23, 2023
Applications which do not satisfy the above requirements or are submitted after the deadline will not be considered for the position. The applications will be evaluated by a selection committee appointed by the Dean of the Faculty of Mathematics, Informatics and Mechanics, University of Warsaw. The committee will prepare the ranking list till 14.04.2023. The call is the first stage of the procedure for recruitment to the position of academic teacher specified in the Statutes of the University of Warsaw, and its positive outcome constitutes the basis for further proceedings. After a preliminary analysis of the submitted applications, the selected candidates will be contacted for further stages of the recruitment procedure. The University of Warsaw reserves the right to cancel the competition without giving any reason. Candidates may be invited for an interview (in person or remotely). Candidates will be contacted individually to schedule such an interview.
Apply for 1 postdoctoral research position, Employing multiphoton quantum interference
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly