PhD Position in Automatic Control: Data-Driven Control of Networks
- UNIVERSITE CATHOLIQUE DE LOUVAIN
- Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
- 07 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 31 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, General Engineering, Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics
- Contract Type
- Full Time
The Network Control & Optimization group in the ICTEAM institute at the Universit catholique de Louvain, Belgium, has an open position for a Ph.D. student in Systems and Control. The goal of this Ph.D. project is to develop novel control approaches - based on data-driven control techniques and optimization tools - to coordinate fleets of electric vehicles with decentralized renewable resources (solar, wind, etc.) and smart buildings to guarantee cutting-edge efficiency and system reliability. This project aims to develop a comprehensive toolset of control algorithms for network systems that can be constructed directly from data and by avoiding the system identification phase.
This project offers the candidate the possibility to work on one or more of the following research topics: data-enabled control and machine learning, distributed control and multi-agent systems, network security and robust control, electric vehicle coordination and control, and optimization methods. The specific topic can be tailored based on the specific interests of the candidate.
What we offer:
You will join an exciting international research team and interdisciplinary academic group with the possibility to work closely with industry partners. You will have the opportunity to travel to, attend, and present at international conferences and build a strong network of collaborators with an international background. You will have the opportunity to spend a period abroad at other EU or international universities. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to gain experience with small-load academic tasks, such as teaching, student supervision, etc.
- A position at a world-leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Attend and present at international conferences on a regular basis
- Ambitious colleagues with world-leading expertise in controls along with a creative, international, and dynamic working environment
- The possibility to cooperate with and build relations with industrial partners as well as other universities and research institutes
- Possibility to gain teaching and supervision expertise
- Possibility to learn or practice English, French, and Dutch (knowledge of French or Dutch not required)
- Full-time employment for 4 years with a gross monthly salary aligned with industrial standards
- Work Belgium, in close proximity (30min) to Brussels
UCLouvain is a comprehensive university offering the opportunity of conducting cross-disciplinary research, collaborate with world-leading researchers, travel to attend international conferences, and gain teaching experience. The position is tied with the Louvain School of Engineering (EPL) and the Institute for Information and Communication Technologies, Electronics and Applied Mathematics (ICTEAM), which offer opportunities for diverse and stimulating teaching as well as an environment to carry out ambitious research. The Louvain-la-Neuve site offers a unique living environment conveniently located at the heart of Europe and in the near proximity of Brussels (30min by public transport).
The Institute of Information and Communication Technologies, Electronics, and Applied Mathematics (ICTEAM), hosts more than 40 professors and 200 researchers, and carries out both basic and applied research in key fields of information and communication technologies, electronics, computer science, and applied mathematics. Its members teach at the Ecole Polytechnique de Louvain.
- You are enthusiastic about academic research
- You have expertise in control theory or optimization, preferably with a strong mathematical background
- You completed a Master's degree program in Electrical, Information, Mechanical (or related) Engineering, or Applied Mathematics
- You have good programming skills and experience (Matlab, Python).
The position will remain open until filled but priority will be given to applications received by March 31, 2023. The start date is flexible and can be tailored based on the candidate s preference.
Applications should include (as a single PDF file):
- A Cover letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue a PhD degree, what your academic interests are, and how they align with the scope of this project
- A CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge
- Copies of diplomas and grades (or class course evaluations) from previous/current university
- Names and contacts of two references
- Copy of publications (if applicable)
To apply, please send an email to email@example.com with the application material.
- PI: Gianluca Bianchin https://gianlucabi.github.io
- ICTEAM/INMA: https://uclouvain.be/en/research-institutes/icteam/inma
- Ecole Polytechnique de Louvain (EPL) : https://uclouvain.be/en/faculties/epl UCLouvain: https://uclouvain.be/fr/index.html
- F.R.S-FNRS (fund for scientific research): https://www.frs-fnrs.be/fr/
- Brussels: https://www.visit.brussels/fr/visiteurs/que-faire
- Louvain-la-Neuve : https://en.tourisme-olln.be/
Apply for PhD Position in Automatic Control: Data-Driven Control of Networks
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly