Joint Communication and Sensing Specialist
- Leuven, Belgium
- 07 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 30 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, General Engineering
- Job Type
- Research Related, Research Support
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Connecting wireless communication and radar domains above 100 GHz in order to investigate synergies and propose new solutions where sensing applications can be achieved using the communication infrastructure while environment monitoring can enhance the communication performance. Solutions will be investigated from simulated algorithmic concepts to hardware demonstration.
What you will do
Imec's Advanced RF program targets wireless communication systems above 100 GHz, offering breakthroughs in throughput, energy efficiency and reliability. This is possible thanks to the wide bandwidth and the easier integration of a large number of antennas at those frequencies, and it builds on imec's strong hardware expertise. In parallel, sensing solutions based on radar techniques are also designed at those frequencies where they can offer better resolution, and synergies between both activities are investigated under the Joint Communication and Sensing research direction.
The candidate will connect wireless communication and radar domains above 100 GHz in order to investigate synergies and propose new solutions where sensing applications can be achieved using the communication infrastructure while environment monitoring can enhance the communication performance. Solutions will be investigated from simulated algorithmic concepts to hardware demonstration.
To support those activities, imec is looking for an expert reinforcing its wireless communication systems team. The candidate should have a MS in electrical engineering, and a PhD or 5 years of research experience in wireless communications. He/she should have expertise in wireless communication signals and physical layer DSP algorithms including multiple-antenna processing. Expertise in wireless propagation, in physical-layer modeling and simulations, in radar systems, in optimization techniques and/or in machine learning is a plus.
The candidate is expected to tackle the following tasks:
- Review state-of-the-art in the joint communication and sensing field and identify areas where imec can have a key contribution.
- Propose, develop and test innovative solutions where sensing can build on communication infrastructure and improve communication performance.
- Manage software simulation environments (primarily Matlab or python) used to simulate joint wireless communication and sensing systems.
- Disseminate results towards publications, patents, and deliverables to external partners in funded or bilateral industrial projects.
- Interact with other members of the systems team and also interface with other teams focusing on analog RF circuits, semiconductor devices, and lab prototyping, in order to aim at larger achievements as a cross-disciplinary team.