PhD student in Organic and Supramolecular Chemistry
7 days left
- UNIVERSITE LIBRE DE BRUXELLES
- Brussels, Belgium
- 07 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 31 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Chemical Engineering, Physical Sciences, Chemistry
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Studentships / Grants & Scholarships, Research Related, Research Assistants / Officers, Research Support
- Contract Type
- Full Time
A 4-year PhD fellowship ( 2300/month) and a 3-year postdoctoral fellowship are available in the Engineering of Molecular NanoSystems laboratory of the Universit libre de Bruxelles (ULB) to work on the synthesis and development of transmembrane transporters for ions.
These fellowships are offered in the context of a project funded by the European Research Council (ERC) and a project funded by the national foundation for scientific research (FNRS), both aimed at the development of molecular transmembrane transporters for ions and their applications in biology. One candidate will focus on the transport of anions and the other on transition metal cations.
See for recent publications on this topic:
- Transmembrane transport of copper(I) by imidazole-functionalised calixarenes. Chem. Commun. 2020, 5, 8206-8209. https://doi.org/10.1039/D0CC03555F
- Transmembrane Transport of Bicarbonate Unravelled. Chem. Eur. J., 2021, 27, 7367-7375. https://doi.org/10.1002/chem.202100491
- Calixarenes with halogen bond donor groups as selective and efficient anion transporters. Chem. Commun. 2022, 58, 6255-6258. https://doi.org/10.1039/D2CC00847E
- Repositioning Chloride Transmembrane Transporters: Transport of Organic Ion Pairs. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2019, 58, 6921-6925. https://doi.org/10.1002/anie.201900818
The successful applicants will join the team of Dr. Hennie Valkenier to work on different aspects of the development of synthetic transmembrane transporters:
- Design and synthesis of compounds, in collaboration with Prof. Ivan Jabin (Laboratory of Organic Chemistry).
- Studies of the interactions between the synthetic receptors (or ligands) and the ions using various physicochemical methods including NMR, microcalorimetry, and optical spectroscopy.
- Transmembrane transport studies in liposomes, using fluorescence and NMR spectroscopy.
- Activity studies in cells, in close collaboration with different specialised labs in Belgium, France, and the UK.
Considering the expertise and results obtained so far, testing the activity of compounds will start as soon as the first compounds have been prepared. The successful applicants will thus work closely together with other team members. English and French are the main languages spoken in the laboratory (currently ~10 nationalities), but all results will be disseminated in English (presentations, written reports, and articles). Participation in international conferences will be encouraged.
EU funding framework: H2020 / ERC
Apply for PhD student in Organic and Supramolecular Chemistry
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Chemical Engineering Academic Posts jobs in Belgium
- Chemical Engineering Studentships / Grants & Scholarships jobs in Belgium
- Chemical Engineering Research Related jobs in Belgium
- Chemical Engineering Research Assistants / Officers jobs in Belgium
- Chemical Engineering Research Support jobs in Belgium