LiDAR PIC Experimentalist
- 07 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 31 Dec 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science
- Job Type
- Research Related, Research Support
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Be in charge the optical setups, LiDAR PIC packaging and control and performance evaluationWhat you will do
LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) technology has seen significant growth over the last years, mainly driven by the automotive industry. Size, weight and cost are some of the major driving forces when exploring new LiDAR architectures. Photonic integrated circuits (PICs) open the possibility of densely packing most of the required LiDAR photonic building blocks on a single Si/SiN chip using CMOS-compatible foundry processes. Emerging solid-state systems are typically based on coherent detection techniques, such as FMCW (frequency-modulated continuous wave) and focus on reducing their dependency on mechanical scanning devices by using optical phased arrays (OPAs) for solid-state beamforming. The purpose of the current position is to contribute to the development of new solid-state LiDAR chips, covering both individual photonic components (such as OPAs, phase shifters and optical antennas) and fully integrated systems (including integrated laser sources and photodetectors).
We are looking for a result-driven highly motivated candidate with a background in photonics, applied physics, electrical engineering, or related field. You are expected to work independently and deliver high-quality results according to agreed timelines, manage time efficiently according to aggressive project schedules and deadlines, report regularly on progress, and to be a team player by interacting closely with other team members. Good customer-oriented communication skills and excellent knowledge of English are also required, as you will work in an international, multi-disciplinary and multicultural team spanning several imec departments and outside partners.
You will be responsible for:
- Design and build of the photonics test setups for PIC-based LIDAR
- Interacting with a larger team working on optical ranging applications (including IC designers and software engineers)
- Development and implementation of calibration techniques for optical beamformers, in close collaboration with PIC designers
- Support the developments of the diverse Lidar system building blocks, including the FMCW engine
- Owner and builder of the optical system build and performance evaluation
- Coordinate and analyze wafer level measurements on the building blocks
- Coordination of the PIC packaging (Optical, wire-bond, PCB)
- Participate in regular project meetings and contribute to reports and documentation
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.