Solicitor (Trusts, Estates and Commercial)
3 days left
- UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- Camperdown, Australia
- 07 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 26 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Social Sciences, Law
- Contract Type
- Full Time
- Full time, continuing opportunity for a mid-career lawyer with experience in wills and estate and commercial law
- Offering a competitive remuneration package including 17% superannuation
- Hybrid work from home and on campus (after initial period)
About the opportunity
We are seeking an experienced commercial lawyer to join a dynamic and collaborative team within the University's Office of General Counsel working on a diverse range of interesting and challenging matters of strategic importance to the University.
The Solicitor (Trusts, Estates and Commercial) will provide sound and timely legal advice and support to senior leaders and decision makers across the University, with a focus on wills and estate, corporate and commercial law and trust law.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to work independently while being supported by a well-established and collegiate team of skilled lawyers engaged in supporting the University's philanthropic activity. There is an opportunity to grow this role for the right candidate.
Reporting to the Director, Trusts and Commercial Law, your key responsibilities will be:
- providing sound, strategic and commercially astute legal advice
- structuring, drafting and negotiating often complex funding and philanthropic gift arrangements
- drafting and negotiating contracts with the University's fundraising partners
- managing wills and estate matters involving the University (including in relation to disputes)
- advising on charitable trusts and charitable fundraising
- managing external legal services
- contributing to the development of policy and legislation affecting the University's philanthropic activity
- communicating to the University regarding legal developments.
This role is ideal for a strategic and commercially astute legal professional who combines excellent technical skills and knowledge with an ability to forge strong working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
You will have:
- qualifications in law and admission to practice in Australia and hold a current practising certificate
- a minimum of 8 years post admission legal experience
- proven capability in drafting and reviewing a range of commercial agreements
- strong experience in wills and estates and commercial law
- excellent analytical skills
- strong influencing and negotiation capability, with clear and concise communication skills to convey complex messaging to varied audiences
- elevated relationship management skills
- an agile and flexible approach that is able to pivot and contribute to overall team success.
- knowledge of and familiarity with the law of charitable trusts and charitable fundraising would be advantageous but not essential.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
For employees of the University or contingent workers, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or any documents in alternate formats, please contact Nayomi Siriwardane, Recruitment Operations by email at email@example.com
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Sunday 26 March 2023 11:59 PM