Postdoctoral Research Associate Level A, School of Public Health
- UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- Camperdown, Australia
- $100,717 - $107,516 + 17% superannuation
- 07 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 25 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health, Other Health & Social Care
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Postdocs, Research Related, Research Associate, Professional Services, Health & Medical
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
- Full time 2 year fixed term, Camperdown
- Exciting Postdoctoral Research Associate role (Level A) with the Prevention Research Collaboration (PRC) with focus on effective prevention strategies and their implementation into existing health services and programs
- Base Salary $100,717 - $107,516 + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
This position is based within the Prevention Research Collaboration (PRC), a world-leading research group in the School of Public Health, at the University of Sydney. The PRC has specialised expertise in population-wide prevention and translational research. This dynamic team of senior and early- mid-career researchers is engaged in generating and disseminating new knowledge about the implementation and evaluation of population-wide prevention programs. The PRC research portfolio addresses national public health priorities, such as physical activity, public health nutrition, obesity, and tobacco prevention, and includes a focus on health inequities, social well-being and healthy ageing.
The PRC receives funding under the NSW Health 'Prevention Research Support Program' (PRSP) which aims to strengthen chronic disease prevention research to improve health and reduce inequalities for the people of NSW. The PRC is also funded by the NSW Health 'NSW Research Program for Physical Activity, Nutrition and Obesity Prevention' (PANORG) to undertake research and evaluation projects to contribute to the development of NSW policies and program for the prevention of chronic disease.
We are seeking an enthusiastic early career post-doctoral researcher looking for an opportunity to build their skills and experience in preventive health research, working within a well-established research group at the University of Sydney. The PRC will provide you with the opportunity to develop your research interests in a supportive environment, work collaboratively with respected colleagues, and be at the forefront of new approaches to improve the health of the population.
This position will focus on research that builds the evidence base for effective prevention strategies that can be integrated into existing services and programs to support chronic disease prevention and health promotion. The incumbent will pursue these directions by undertaking research that aligns with one or more of the public health themes (e.g., health equity, social well-being, healthy ageing). The position is expected to work independently and as part of a team under the direction of their supervisors and other PANORG and PRSP chief investigators.
Please see more about us at Prevention Research Collaboration - Faculty of Medicine and Health (sydney.edu.au)
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- undertake research and evaluation projects for the NSW Health funded PRSP and PANORG programs of work. This includes but not limited to working collaboratively with PRC researchers and stakeholders to:
- develop research protocols
- synthesise literature evidence
- prepare applications for ethical approval
- utilise population health data and evidence to inform policy and practice
- contribute to the design and/or implementation and evaluation of stand-alone prevention research projects in the areas of physical activity, obesity prevention or tobacco control, as required
- initiate new and innovative research projects that may be translated to population impact through policies and programs
- participate in early/mid-career researcher capacity building activities
- apply for competitive research funding
- lead and contribute to the preparation of high-quality manuscripts for peer-reviewed publication.
- communicate effectively in various fora, such as seminars and conferences, to disseminate research findings
- contribute to co-supervision of honours and/or HDR students, and teaching (including tutorials, seminars, assessment) relevant to the Sydney School of Public Health as required.
- research experience in the field of prevention of chronic disease risk factors, such as physical inactivity, obesity, tobacco use, unhealthy diet, and social health
- knowledge and experience in healthy ageing, equity and/or social wellbeing research and interventions
- knowledge and experience in designing and conducting quantitative research projects
- experience in, or sound understanding of qualitative and mixed-methods research
- demonstrated experience in completing research tasks including ethics applications, instrument design, data collection, and data analysis
- emerging research scholarship demonstrated through publication in a peer-reviewed journal
- ability to work independently, collaboratively, and effectively in a multidisciplinary research group
- PhD in public health or relevant discipline.
- skills and experience in evaluation of public health or health promotion programs, including project management
- demonstrated experience in stakeholder engagement and use of co-design approaches
- evidence of securing research funding
- experience translating research evidence for public health action and policy
- experience in implementation and scale-up research.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Cecilia Blamey, Recruitment Operations, by email to email@example.com.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Saturday 25 March 2023 11:59 PM
More searches like this
- Other Health & Social Care Academic Posts Australia jobs in Camperdown
- Other Health & Social Care Postdocs Australia jobs in Camperdown
- Other Health & Social Care Research Related Australia jobs in Camperdown
- Other Health & Social Care Professional Services Australia jobs in Camperdown
- Other Health & Social Care Research Associate Australia jobs in Camperdown