Research Fellow (Post-doctoral), Emerging Infectious Diseases
- DUKE-NUS MEDICAL SCHOOL
- 07 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 05 Jun 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Life sciences, Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Research Fellowships, Postdocs
- Contract Type
- Full Time
The Signature Research Programme in Emerging Infectious Diseases (EID) aims to pioneer the development and discovery of new and more effective methods for the treatment, prevention and control of new and emerging pathogens. The key outcome of the research will be the early identification of new pathogens, out of which new diagnostic tests, treatments and control strategies will be developed.
This position is for a full-time Post-Doctoral Fellow to work as a Bioinformatics Programmer/Analyst with a strong background in Data Science and/or Evolutionary Biology. The Laboratory of Virus Evolution (LoVE) studies rapidly evolving respiratory RNA viruses including influenza, parainfluenza and coronavirus. The position is primarily to develop and implement Bayesian phylogenetics framework for modelling virus activity, evolutionary processes and transmission. The candidate is expected to play a critical role in conducting bioinformatic and biostatistical analyses to generate high-quality research data, performing a variety of research activities under the supervision of the Principal Investigator or his/her designate.
The main duties and responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and improve Bayesian phylogenetics modeling, spatio-temporal epidemiological modeling or associated tools for studying infectious diseases
- Test and implement new models/tools for evolutionary reconstruction, coalescent-based population genetics, phylogeography, reassortment rates and related analyses.
- Develop computational scripts and/or pipelines for data analyses.
- Interface and network with clinical counterparts and team members to achieve the goals of the project.
- Prepare data for manuscripts, progress reports and grant applications.
- Demonstrate and present research output.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the project theme.
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Machine learning or other related disciplines.
- Prior experience in designing/developing Bayesian statistics and models is preferred.
- Possess strong knowledge in Linux/Unix operating systems and high-performance computing clusters
- In-depth knowledge of Bash, Perl and Python scripting is required
- Have experience designing and implementing platform packages for evolutionary software such as BEAST.
- Possess excellent quantitative, analytical and organisation skills.
- Self-motived, able to work effectively and efficiently, willing to work hard to meet tight deadlines and work collaboratively in a diverse workforce.
Please apply the position in the career portal.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.