Research Assistant / Research Associate (Cancer Science Institute) 1
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 07 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 06 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Life sciences, Biological Sciences
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Are you a biomedical researcher motivated to pursue an outstanding career in cancer research with a focus on organoid research?
Cancer will affect more than 1 in 3 Singaporeans. At the Cancer Science Institute (CSI), our mission is to be at the global forefront of research to overcome this scourge. Our innovative international faculty, cutting-edge facilities, supportive working environment and competitive package together enable each of our staff to realize their maximum potential.
We now seek a Research Assistant/ Associate to join the team of Prof. Ashok Venkitaraman. This is an exciting opportunity to work closely with a world-leading cancer researcher to undertake pioneering research on the role of genome instability in human carcinogenesis (eg., see Venkitaraman Science (2014) PMID:24675954 and Venkitaraman DNA Repair (2019) PMID:31337537).
The role will provide expertise in the establishment, genetic manipulation and maintenance of human and murine cell cultures, performance of animal work as well as design/ perform and analyse work within the project parameters.
- design, perform and analyse work with mouse models
- to carry out assigned molecular and cell biology experiments (i.e. cloning, FACS, western blotting, RNA, sequencing, microscopy) and perform analysis and determinations as tasked
- to organise, preserve and present the results of the experiments in a logical manner
- to properly and systematically record all experiments that have been assigned and their results
- maintain up to date records of inventories for chemical/ biological reagents
- assist when required with procurement
- ensure tidiness and cleanliness of the lab is maintained
- University degree in a relevant field
- Significant amount of experience working with human and/ or murine organoids
- Ability to speak and write clearly in English
- Minimum 2 to 3 years work experience in a molecular biology lab;
- Qualified (RCULA) to work with animal models with practical experience
- Basic principles and practices in the fields of biology.
- Principles, techniques and terminology used in cancer biology.
- Methods of scientific research and relevant scientific theories.
- Appropriate computer operations, software and peripherals.
- General rules for safe exposure and handling of chemical and biological hazards
- IRB, HBRA & IACUC regulations
- Principles, techniques and terminology used in organoid model systems and genomic and RNA sequencing as well as common lab molecular and cell biology techniques (desirable)
- Perform laboratory tests in an efficient and timely manner
- Work cooperatively and effectively with others
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.