Research Assistant, NUS Centre for Trusted Internet and Community
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 07 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 06 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science
- Contract Type
- Full Time
CO DAT (Collaborate Data Trust) is a project under the Department of Communications and New Media (CNM), funded jointly by the Centre for Trusted Internet and Community (CTIC) and the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS) at NUS. Designed to facilitate research and pedagogy in computational social science and digital humanities, CODAT is an infrastructural project physically housed at CTIC in NUS’s Innovation 4.0 building.
This Research Assistant (RA) will provide day-to-day technical and administrative support for CODAT, especially for CTIC-PIs who plan to avail of CTIC infrastructure. The current infrastructure for CODAT consists of a powerful server running Ubuntu. The RA will be required to set up the server for remote access, create user accounts for the CTIC PIs who plan to use it, and keep the server running at all times. Candidates are expected to be familiar with Linux system administration, and will be additionally required to provide logistical and technical support for CTIC events such as SICSS (https://sicss.io/2022/singapore/index.html) which is scheduled to take place in June 2022.
- Configuring and setting up a Linux server for remote access (for example, by requesting static IPs from NUS IT and enabling SSH)
- Creation of user accounts for CTIC PIs who plan to use the server
- Installation and upgradation of required software on the CODAT server
- Providing technical support for the operation of CODAT server
- Provide other kinds of technical support during in-person and virtual CTIC events (for example, with audio visual set up and troubleshooting)
- Provide logistical support for CTIC events (such as participant registration, room reservation etc)
- Familiarity with the Linux terminal, especially with system configuration and administration
- A degree in computer science degree is preferred, but not mandatory, if the
- candidate can otherwise demonstrate expertise in Linux system administration
- Capacity to collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and work with limited supervision
- Willingness to work some flexible hours, especially during CTIC events such as SICSS
- Good English competence to communicate effectively and appropriately with a wide range of professional groups
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Arts & Social Sciences
Department: Communications And New Media
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID: 15009