Research Fellow, Bioinformatician (Cancer Science Institute of Singapore)
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 07 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 06 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science, Life sciences, Biological Sciences
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Research Fellowships, Postdocs
- Contract Type
- Full Time
The position of Postdoctoral Fellow (PDF) -- with an emphasis on computational cancer genomics -- is immediately available at The Cancer Science Institute of Singapore (a part of The National University of Singapore). The postholder will work with the laboratories of Prof. Ashok Venkitaraman, on a project studying the evolution of cancer genomes during early steps in carcinogenesis, with the long-term aim to develop better methods for early intervention.
This is an exciting opportunity to deploy expertise in computational biology in an active multidisciplinary environment, working closely with experimental cancer biologists to address major scientific problems.
The postholder will apply existing analytic pipelines and devise new algorithms to explore data derived from multiple DNA sequencing technologies (eg., Illumina & Nanopore) to resolve cancer genome evolution at the clonal level. S/he will also analyse complementary data from other technologies, ranging from single-cell RNAseq to chromatin immunoprecipitation to chromatin accessibility (ATAC-seq), using a variety of novel cellular models established in Prof. Venkitaraman’s laboratory. Experimental findings will be explored and validated using clinical genomic datasets.
A PhD in a relevant field, with a strong track record of achievement exemplified by publications, is important, as is the required expertise in computational biology listed below. Experience in the methods to be used in the project is desirable.
- PhD in human genetics, genomics, bioinformatics, computer science, or related fields
- Firm understanding of the principles of clonal evolution
- Experience analyzing DNA sequencing data
- Strong Python and/or R programming skills
- Proficient with standard statistical analyses
- Strong publication record
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Experience using Amazon Web Services
- Proficiency with Unix-based systems
- Experience with collaborative software development via github/gitlab
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.