Research Fellow, Centre for Wireless Innovation
2 days left
- QUEENS UNIVERSITY BELFAST
- Belfast, Northern Ireland
- £35,333 - £38,592 per annum
- 07 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 03 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Physical Sciences, Physics & Astronomy
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Research Fellowships
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term, Permanent
- Full Time
The Centre for Wireless Innovation, School of Electronics, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science at Queen’s University Belfast, offers an exciting Research Fellowship in the area of reconfigurable antennas & surfaces. The successful candidate will be an active member of a wider community, contributing to world leading research outputs and new research initiatives in the broader area of reconfigurable antennas and surfaces, applied electromagnetics, wireless communications and microwave imaging.
The position is offered within a Horizon Europe Research and Innovation Action grant (CONVERGE) with the participation of 16 world-leading institutions from Europe and the US. This research at Queen’s University Belfast will focus on (a) designing, manufacturing and testing reconfigurable surfaces and (b) demonstrating these antennas in wireless communications and imaging scenarios. This research will develop the next-generation electromagnetic infrastructure in Europe with real-time imaging and communication capabilities using coherent and incoherent wireless signals.
The successful candidate must have, and your application should clearly demonstrate you have:
- Obtained or be about to obtain, a PhD in Electrical/Electronic engineering or Physics.
- At least 3 years’ relevant research experience to include:
- design and implementation experience of reconfigurable antennas and surfaces (metasurfaces, reflecting surfaces, etc), including control and biasing circuitry.
- designing RF antenna element/array.
- using RF design and simulation software such as CST Microwave Studio and Ansoft HFSS.
- conducting measurements and characterisation of RF/microwave devices and circuits and antennas using measurement equipment such as vector network analysers, spectrum analysers, power meters etc.
- using far-field and/or near-field antenna measurements.
Please note the above are not an exhaustive list. For further information about the role including the essential and desirable criteria please click the Candidate Information link below.
This post is fixed term until 31 January 2026. Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but in particular circumstances may be renewed or made permanent subject to availability of funding.
At Queen’s our people are at the heart of everything we do. As a staff member you will become part of a vibrant organisational culture, which will provide you with the opportunity to achieve your full potential and enhance your career through a continuous focus on learning and development.
Queen’s University is committed to promoting equality of opportunity to all. We have created an inclusive culture by establishing staff networks such as iRise (Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic and International Staff Network) and PRISM (LGBTQ+) which help us progress equality.
We also subscribe to Equality Charter Marks such as the Diversity Charter Mark NI in addition to Athena Swan. For further information on our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, please visit: www.qub.ac.uk/diversity; www.qub.ac.uk/qgi and www.qub.ac.uk/sites/StaffGateway/StaffNetworks/.
Informal enquiries may be directed to Laura Pollock at L.Pollock@qub.ac.uk.
About the School
About the Project
Attractive Reward Package
Information for International Applicants