Visiting Assistant Professor in US Politics
- UNIVERSITY OF PUGET SOUND
- 05 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 05 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Politics & International Studies, Sociology
- Contract Type
- Full Time
University of Puget Sound
Visiting Assistant Professor in US Politics
Job ID: 6988
Location: Politics & Government
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Faculty Posting Details
Appointment: One-year visiting assistant professor in US politics for the 2023-2024 academic year.
We are seeking a scholar of US politics to teach six courses for the year. Courses will include Constitutional Law, Introduction to US Politics, and courses that match the interest and expertise of the successful applicant. While not required, applications are encouraged from scholars who could offer courses appealing to student interests in critical approaches or in areas such as indigenous rights or immigration law. There are also opportunities to connect with scholars and students in a range of interdisciplinary programs including a new Crime, Law, and Justice program; African American Studies; and Latinx Studies.
A doctoral degree (ABD considered) in Political Science and a commitment to undergraduate education are required. Candidates must demonstrate a willingness and ability to address the needs of historically underrepresented students. Successful applicants will have expertise in the US courts or the law. We are interested in candidates with a range of secondary interests including but not limited to parties, political behavior, or US institutions.
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin on March 1, 2023 and will continue until the position has been filled.
Please submit curriculum vitae (CV) when prompted to submit resume. Additional documents can be attached within the application before submission. Applications submitted without the required attachments will not be considered.
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of interest
- Teaching statement
- Diversity statement (see prompt below)
- Sample syllabi of courses you would be prepared to teach
- A research sample (e.g. article, dissertation chapter, conference presentation)
- Contact information for three (3) references. You will be prompted to enter the contact information for three (3) reference providers. The system will automatically email these reference providers to request a letter
Note: In the online application system, please submit curriculum vitae when prompted to submit resume. Additional documents can be attached within the application.
Applicant's Diversity Statement:
As a department and university, we are strongly committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, and working environment for all. In the applicant's diversity statement, applicants should comment on their ability to contribute meaningfully to our on-going commitment to be informed and competent with regard to issues of diversity, equity, and individual differences. We encourage applicants to reference the University of Puget Sound's current Diversity Strategic Plan (DSP) at https://pugetsound.edu/about-puget-sound-0/mission-core-values/institutional-equity-diversity prior to writing this statement. While not an exhaustive list, the following are some ways applicant's can express their qualification:
- Demonstration of your awareness of inequities for underrepresented student populations in education, research experience, and other opportunities;
- Brief insights on why diversity is important at institutions like the University of Puget Sound;
- Your lived experiences and/or identities that speak to the department and university's commitment to inclusion and diversity;
- Infusion of diversity and diversity-related issues into your research, pedagogy, and/or service;
- Previous and/or current activities involving mentoring underrepresented student populations;
- Brief insights on how cultural competency increases one's effectiveness as an educator and department/university colleague.
Compensation and Benefits:
Rank: Visiting Professor
Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Faculty salaries at the University of Puget Sound are based on a common salary scale based on experience. Assistant Professor salaries in 2022-2023 begin at $69,074 for an assistant professor level 1 in their first year of full-time post-doctorate teaching through $77,297 for an assistant professor level 6 in their sixth year of full-time post-doctorate teaching.
Puget Sound offers a generous benefits package for eligible faculty members, including:
- Medical, dental, and vision
- Life insurance and long-term disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- Retirement plan options and 403(b) contributions
- Education benefits, such as full tuition for eligible employees and their families
- Access to university facilities and entertainment (fitness center, pool, library, concerts, lectures) and more!
For more information on Puget Sound's faculty benefits package, visit: https://www.pugetsound.edu/sites/default/files/2023-02/2023%20Benefits%20for%20Faculty%20Members.docx.pdf
About the department of Politics and Government Department:
The department of Politics and Government offers a rich educational experience centered on disciplined thinking about political processes, policy, and political values to prepare students for citizenship and leadership in challenging times. We offer minors and majors with emphases in US Politics, International Relations, Comparative Politics, Political Theory, and Law and Society.
About the University:
The University of Puget Sound is a liberal arts college dedicated to preparing graduates for the highest tests of democratic citizenship. To learn more about our mission, please visit: https://www.pugetsound.edu/about-puget-sound-0/mission-core-values Puget Sound is a member of the Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC), Greater Washington State https://www.hercjobs.org/regions/higher-ed-careers-washington/.
The University of Puget Sound is located in Tacoma, Washington, a vibrant, diverse mid-sized urban port city. Within and near Tacoma there is ready access to urban, rural, and natural areas as well as opportunities to participate in a wide variety of cultural activities.
University Diversity Statement
- We acknowledge the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a university community; the intrinsic worth of all who work and study here; that education is enhanced by investigation of and reflection upon multiple perspectives.
- We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all persons as a key characteristic of our campus community; to increase the diversity of all parts of our University community through commitment to diversity in our recruitment and retention efforts; to foster a spirit of openness to active engagement among all members of our campus community.
- We act to achieve an environment that welcomes and supports diversity; to ensure full educational opportunity for all who teach and learn here; to prepare effectively citizen-leaders for a pluralistic world.
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of all required background checks. All new hires will be required to submit proof of current COVID-19 vaccination (including booster) or receive an approved medical or religious exemption from the university.
The University of Puget Sound is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: www.pugetsound.edu/employment
About Puget Sound
Puget Sound is a selective national liberal arts college in Tacoma, Washington, drawing 2,600 students from 48 states and 20 countries. Puget Sound graduates include Rhodes and Fulbright scholars, notables in the arts and culture, entrepreneurs and elected officials, and leaders in business and finance locally and throughout the world. A low student-faculty ratio provides Puget Sound students with personal attention from faculty who have a strong commitment to teaching and offer 1,200 courses each year in more than 40 traditional and interdisciplinary fields, including graduate programs in occupational and physical therapy and in education. Puget Sound is the only nationally ranked independent undergraduate liberal arts college in Western Washington, and one of just five independent colleges in the Pacific Northwest granted a charter by Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s most prestigious academic honorary society. Visit "About Puget Sound" (http://www.pugetsound.edu/about) to learn more about the college.
As a strategic goal and through our core values, University of Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. EOE/AA
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency