Research Fellow (Safe Lithium-ion Battery for High Power Applications)
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 06 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 05 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Physical Sciences, Chemistry, Physics & Astronomy
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Research Fellowships
- Contract Type
- Full Time
This industry funded project aims to develop safe Li-ion battery technology for high power applications. Project will make use of high-power Li-ion cell technologies using phosphate based positive electrode materials along with titanate based negative electrode materials. NUS hold process patents for three electrode materials related to this project
Project aims to optimize synthesis conditions for scale-up production of positive and negative electrode materials. Especially efforts will be made to tailor the cathode and anode materials for improving structural, thermal, chemical and electrochemical stability. Electrolyte additives will play a key role for improving energy efficiency and dissolution of transition metal ions during high rate of charge and discharge cycles. Commercial type Li-ion cells will be fabricated using existing proto-type facility at NUS. Besides testing their storage performances, the team intends to estimate heat generated and correlate this with the internal resistance inferred from impedance spectroscopy studies. The candidate will use other characterization tools including X-ray diffraction, FTIR, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, SEM/TEM, DSC/DTA, etc., to understand improvements in kinetics, thermal and structural stabilities of these electrode and electrolyte materials.
The candidate will work closely with the industry partner to assess various safety criteria on full cells fabricated as part of this project.
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering /Chemical Engineering /Materials Science & Engineering/Chemistry/Physics or closely related fields.
- Minimum 4-6 years of experience at academic or industry after Ph.D. related to battery research.
- Expert in electrochemistry related Li-ion battery and/or Na-ion battery.
- Have a strong desire to be involved in translational/applied research.
- Highly motivated, a good communicator (written and verbal), and passionate about research related to renewable energy.
- Team player with a keen interest to mentor team members.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.