Full Professor or Associate Professor (promotion track) for STEM Education
- UNIVERSITY OF LUXEMBOURG
- Luxembourg (LU)
- 06 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 05 Apr 2023
- UOL05335 / F3-50016526
- Academic Discipline
- Social Sciences, Education
- Contract Type
- Full Time
The University of Luxembourg aspires to be a world-class research university. It strives for excellence in both fundamental and applied research, and in education. It drives innovation for society, has a high proportion of graduate students, and intertwines research, teaching and societal impact.
The University of Luxembourg has the profile of a research university with a strong activity in research, a high proportion of doctoral candidates and success in internationally competitive third-party funding, combined with excellent research-driven teaching throughout the University. The University has three missions: research, higher education and contribution to the social, cultural and economic development of the country.
The Faculty of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences (FHSE) brings together expertise from the humanities, linguistics, cognitive sciences, social and educational sciences. People from across 20 disciplines are working within the Faculty. Along with the disciplinary approach a very ambitious interdisciplinary research culture has been developed.
The faculty’s research and teaching focuses on social, economic, political and educational issues with the common goal of contributing to an inclusive, open and resourceful society. The FHSE offers six Bachelor and 20 Master degrees and a doctoral school providing students with the necessary knowledge and high-qualified skills to succeed in their future career.
The holder of the position will be a member of the Department of Education and Social Work within the Faculty of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences.
She/he will be a specialist in education, with an expertise related to STEM education at the primary levels. The ideal candidate will bring a background with holistic, creative, approaches to STEM-related topics focused on problem-solving, inquiry, and critical thinking. The Associate/Full Professor will develop a research focus in STEM education with relevance to the Luxembourgish context, and establish collaborations with colleagues in related areas of interest in and beyond the Department.
The holder will develop and teach mathematics and science education courses in the Bachelors of Educational Sciences (BScE) and the Bachelor of Formation Professionelle (BFP) programs, both programs with a focus on early-childhood and primary school (ages 3-12) teacher education. As such, the successful candidate will have relevant expertise and professional experience at the primary school levels and a commitment to high-quality preservice teacher education and to developing STEM-related offerings for teachers.
S/he will also establish contacts with schools as well as cooperation with informal education structures and ministry departments.
The holder will provide teaching and expertise mainly to the Bachelor en Sciences de l’Education (BScE) and Bachelor en Formation Pédagogique (BFP).
What we expect from you…
- PhD in Primary Education, with a specialization related to STEM education
- A minimum of five years of post-doctoral experience acquired in a university or comparable research centre
- University-level teaching experience at the undergraduate and the postgraduate level
- Publication record corresponding to the academic experiences
- Familiarity with new directions in educational engineering technologies such as Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, 3D printing etc.
- Inquiry-based science and problem-based mathematics education
- Familiarity with variety of educational research methodologies, specifically Design-Based Research
- Ability to work autonomously
- Ability to work in a multilingual environment
- Knowledge of the Luxembourgish school system will be considered an advantage
The University of Luxembourg is set in a multilingual context. The person hired on this position must be proficient in French and German and have a good working knowledge of English.
- Contract Type: Contract type: this position is offered at the Full Professor or Associate Professor level depending on qualification. Both levels are tenured. At the Associate Professor level, a possibility of promotion will be given after 5 years upon positive evaluation
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Belval
- Job Reference: UOL05335 / F3-50016526
How to apply...
We encourage early application. To ensure full consideration, candidates should apply by 19/03/2023.
Submit application within timeline established including:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae including information on external research funding acquired
- Copies of diplomas
- List of publications
- Copies of recent publications (max. 5) relevant for the field in question
- List of courses taught
- A list of three referees with their name, address and present position. Please indicate their relationship to you
to: Prof. Dr. Christine Schiltz (Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences).
All applications will be handled in the strictest confidence.
The University of Luxembourg is committed to achieving gender parity among its academic staff and aims to eliminate obstacles to recruitment of female professors and their career development. Should candidates present equivalent CVs, preference will be given to female candidates in all departments where gender parity is not yet achieved.
The University of Luxembourg is an equal opportunities employer.
Prof. Dr. Christina Siry
Telephone: (+352) 46 66 44 9717