Research Associate in Energy Studies Institute, Automated Solutions for Carbon Footprint Management
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 06 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 05 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science
- Job Type
- Research Related, Research Associate
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Energy Studies Institute
The Energy Studies Institute (ESI) is a research institute at the National University of Singapore seeking to advance the understanding of energy policy issues by conducting independent research and analysis. We are looking for researchers to join a multi-disciplinary team carrying out research projects on a range of energy issues that are of concern to Singapore and the region.
The Institute is looking to recruit a Research Associate to undertake research into the use of automated solutions for carbon footprint management in collaboration with industry partner BDx - a leading Pan Asian data center and hybrid computing solutions provider (see www.bdxworld.com). The appointed staff will operate under the responsibility of the Institute Head and work closely with members across each of the institute’s divisions.
Candidates are expected to be highly familiar with data analytics, visualization and the deployment of modern computer science techniques, ideally including an awareness of emerging digital technologies and trends in automated data capture.
Candidates will also need to demonstrate a robust understanding of principles and techniques for carbon accounting and footprinting. An understanding of Singapore’s economic system, and local work experience is desirable. The appointed candidate is also expected to have a sound awareness of current and emerging trends in energy and environmental research.
Commensurate with experience and rank:
- To report on the motivations for and expanded adoption of socially responsible business practices, including carbon disclosure, either voluntarily or in response to evolving national/international policies e.g. reacting to carbon tax revisions or similar;
- To review regional and international best practices for carbon footprint measurement, including the scope of emissions captured;
- To document case studies for the use of automated technologies in carbon emissions data capture, verification and/or reporting;
- To work with the hybrid infrastructure management platform 360°View, developed by BDx (see https://managed360view.com/), as the central component of a high-integrity automated carbon footprint management solution;
- To explore potential for, and possibly support the development of, a digital twin architecture built upon 360°View, as a framework for strategic evaluation of carbon footprint policies.
The specific area of work will depend on the priorities of the institute at any given point in time.
- Possess a Master’s degree in computer science, data science or other related fields, or possess a Bachelor degree with at least 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Applicants should have demonstrated experience in quantitative data analysis.
- A robust awareness of principles for carbon footprint analysis and reporting.
- A good contemporary understanding and interest in energy and environmental issues.
- Relevant working and practical experience in industry or government agencies in the area of energy and environment in Singapore would be highly valuable.
- Track record of publications in reputable journals would be an advantage.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
To apply for this position, please combine the following documents in 1 PDF and attach it under the CV column when submitting your application:
- Curriculum vitae
- A cover letter, of no more than 800 words, explaining the applicant’s past research experience and aptitude in relation to the research project
Interested candidates, please submit your application with all the required documents. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified. Shortlisted applicants may be called for interview, either in person or by zoom, as appropriate. If you have not heard from us within 3 months, you should assume that your application has not been successful.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Energy Studies Institute
Department : Energy Studies Institute
Job requisition ID : 18076