Team Lead Data Engineering
- SWINBURNE UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
- Hawthorn, Australia
- $120,802 - $127,939 plus 17% Super
- 06 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 05 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science
- Job Type
- Professional Services, IT Services
- Contract Type
- Full Time
- Exciting Team Leader opportunity to lead our Data Engineering team
- Full time position at our Hawthorn campus
- Hew 9 ($120,802 - $127,939 ) plus 17% Super
About the Role
This is an exciting career opportunity to lead the small and talented Data Engineering team in our Information Technology Department at Swinburne University.
The Team Leader of Data Engineering will excel at establishing strong partnerships with key stakeholders and colleagues to develop and implement data provisioning capabilities. Using multiple source systems combined with the analysis and definition of technical requirements, data provisioning, producing operational reports and implementing innovative solutions.
This position reports to the Director, Enterprise Architecture and Information (EAI) in the Information Technology department and leads a team of Data Engineers responsible for the provision, maintenance, improvement, cleaning and manipulation of data in the university’s operational and analytics data platforms, including the Swinburne Information Hub.
To be suitable for this role you will need to have experience in the below key accountabilities:
- With the team, continue to build out the core data platforms, including ingestion, data management, and reporting technologies
- Source data from a wide range of data sources such as relational databases, APIs, and flat files.
- Support logical and physical data modelling, including dimensional, relational, and flat-file data structures.
- Collate, process, transform, and model raw data from multiple sources, and utilise different data sourcing, integration and modelling techniques.
- Build and run cost optimised solutions in the Azure Cloud Environment.
- Develop team capabilities and manage talent to support growth and future bench strength using Swinburne’s frameworks for succession planning, performance and development, culture and engagement.
- Foster collaborative work practices and promote a workplace environment focused on staff empowerment, efficient work practices, and encouragement of initiative and innovation.
- Contribute to the university’s data planning, program of work development and strategy by identifying initiatives for inclusion.
Qualifications and Experience
- Relevant qualifications and extensive technical experience.
- Relevant Certifications (e.g. Snowflake Certification)
- Experience with and knowledge of modern lakehouse architectures
- Expertise in distributed cloud based RDBMSes such as Snowflake
- Expertise in data lake ingestion tools such as Fivetran, Matillion, Informatica, or PowerBI, Tableau
About Swinburne University of Technology
Swinburne Horizon 2025 draws upon our understanding of future challenges. With this new strategic plan, we choose to build Swinburne as the prototype of a new and different university – one that is truly of Technology, of Innovation and of Entrepreneurship, and proud of it. We are committed to a differentiated university proposition in education and research, so that:
- Every Swinburne learner gets a work experience
- Every Swinburne graduate gets a job
- Every Swinburne partner gets a tech solution
- Swinburne is the prototype of global best practice
The achievement of our 2025 moon shots depends on our capacity to work collectively, always, as One Swinburne.
Please submit your CV and cover letter addressing your suitability for this position.
To review the Position Description and to apply, please scroll down to the bottom of the page.
If you are viewing this advert from an external site, please click ‘apply’ and you will be redirected to Swinburne’s Jobs website to access the Position Description at the bottom of the page.
Please Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children Check.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application, please contact the Swinburne Talent Acquisition Team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications Close: 5th of April, 2023 at 5 pm
Swinburne offers flexible working options, leave and parenting/carer policies to support work life balance.
Equity and Diversity
Swinburne is a large and culturally diverse organisation and we are proud of our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion through key initiatives. For further information on all our initiatives visit our Equity & Diversity website.
We welcome and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
We are committed to making the recruitment process fair and equitable for all our candidates. If you have specific accessibility or support requirements please contact email@example.com
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Applicants
We welcome and strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
For any support please contact DeadlyCareers@swin.edu.au or for more information on our Indigenous strategies please follow the link to our RAP Reconciliation Action Plan.
We are a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant.