Mechanical Engineering Technician
- UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST OF SCOTLAND
- Paisley, Renfrewshire (GB)
- Grade 4: £25,948 to £30,619 per annum
- 03 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 02 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- Contract Type
- Full Time
School of Computing, Engineering and Physical Sciences
THE POST - Mechanical Engineering Technician
The School of Computing, Engineering and Physical Sciences is a multidisciplinary academic centre and the winner of the Times Higher Education’s Knowledge Exchange Initiative of the Year 2020. It offers a diverse range of accredited undergraduate and postgraduate programmes and delivers a number of active research projects in these areas.
We are presently inviting applications for the post of Mechanical Engineering Technician, which will primarily provide technical support to taught programmes, research and commercial activity within the Engineering disciplines. The post holder will be responsible for the provision of technical support ensuring the effective and efficient operation of a range of workshop and laboratory equipment.
To deliver in this busy role you will have a broad-based knowledge of engineering equipment including the safe operation of engineering workshop machine tools including lathes, mills, drills and grinders. Additional in-house training will be provided as necessary.
The successful candidate should:
- Be educated to a minimum of HNC level or equivalent
- Have relevant and practical work experience in the field of mechanical engineering
- Have completed an appropriate apprenticeship
- Be flexible and having an adaptable approach to work is crucial as is the ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Have a good understanding of Health and Safety practices.
- Have a working knowledge of basic IT.
UWS was named Higher Educational Institution of the Year in The Herald Higher Education Awards 2022 and is officially ranked by Times Higher Education in the top 600 universities worldwide (2022 World University Rankings) as well as in the top 150 universities worldwide under 50 years old (2022 Young University Rankings). University of the West of Scotland is one of Scotland’s largest and most dynamic modern universities. Our reach across the country, together with our London campus, means that UWS is a significant force in global knowledge creation, innovation, and a leading provider of undergraduate, postgraduate and research degree education. Our degrees provide students with a transformational experience; equipping them with highly sought-after graduate skills that set them up for global success in world-leading sectors, industries and businesses.
With cutting-edge courses, modern pedagogy and practical knowledge, we enable our students and staff to experience the joy of learning, teaching, research and innovation, and apply their knowledge for the benefit of others.
Our professional services teams are the backbone of UWS, providing robust and innovative solutions to support the vast range of work across learning and teaching, and research and innovation. You will join a supportive and dedicated team, playing a key role in a range of work that will help drive forward our ambition to deliver world-leading research, and graduates who will design, shape and build a new future. .
We offer our staff a caring and supportive environment, across five campuses, and a competitive benefits package which includes:
- 24 days annual leave, plus a further 12 days for public/university holidays
- 19.3% employer’s pension contribution including death in service benefits on joining the pension scheme
- A flexible approach to working pattern and work-life balance
- Employee discount scheme across 3,500 retailers
- Fitness facilities across our campuses
- Access to a range of health and wellbeing resources through our partners, Health Assured
- Professional and career development opportunities
Interview date: Week beginning 17th April 2023