Dean of Graduate School of Business (GSB)
3 days left
- NAZARBAYEV UNIVERSITY
- Astana (KZ)
- 03 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 02 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Business & Economics
- Job Type
- Senior Management & Heads of Department, Deans
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Main Purpose of the Role
The Dean is the principal officer of the Graduate School of Business (GSB) and is responsible for the strategic leadership and executive management of the School.
The strategic partner for GSB is the Fuqua School of Business, Duke University, who have helped the School over the past twelve years to clarify excellence in research, teaching and administration.
Unique strategic strengths within the School lie within the broad areas of Economics, Finance and Management.
Responsible for: GSB staff and faculty. The Vice-Dean (Academic Affairs), the Vice-Dean (Research), the Chief Administrative Officer and the Dean’s Personal Assistant are direct reports. The Chief Administrative Officer also reports to the Executive Vice President on financial and budget matters.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Knowledge and experience
- academic qualifications:
- PhD or equivalent in a discipline represented by GSB;
- candidates must have held Full Professor rank for at least 5 years;
- international track record of research and professional achievements;
- excellent record in teaching/overseeing undergraduate, graduate and PhD programs;
- experience in managing budgets and administrative teams.
- strong leadership skills and ability to take accountability for the delivery of quality and excellence;
- strong negotiation and influencing skills with the ability to build and foster relationships internally and externally
- cross cultural communication skills.
- ability to command respect in a research-intensive, international scholarly community;
- can build consensus with colleagues, staff and students.
- Previous experience as Dean or Vice Dean of an internationally ranked university.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Contribute to the University Vision and Strategy
- Clarify, communicate and implement the School's strategic direction through the Strategic Plan. Actively support program and institutional accreditation and/or evaluation, consistent with University policy. Establish and maintain an appropriately constituted industry or professional advisory group. Contribute to University committees and activities and communicate University policies to the School. Work with the relevant departments and Administrative Officer to oversee the School's financial resources according to University policies, relevant legislation and the strategic direction of the School. To oversee annual budget-setting for the School, in consultation with the Chief Administrative Officer.
- To ensure that all School committees are constituted and operate regularly at appropriate times during the academic year. Develop and continuously review student recruitment targets, consistent with University policy. Collaborate with other Schools, Research Centres and units on curriculum, research and teaching to ensure efficient use of University resources. Encourage appropriate applications for graduate study and career opportunities for the School’s graduates.
- Empower the faculty and staff to uphold the strategy of the School. Ensure a fair, safe and harassment-free work and study environment in accordance with NU policies. Continuously review plans for the staffing needs of the School. Recruit high quality faculty who can contribute to the University’s international research and academic impact. Ensure faculty receive regular reviews of performance in accordance with University policy, and that action plans for continuous improvement are implemented. Be responsible for faculty promotion. Oversee active communication within the School. Uphold the values of the university, including academic integrity, as stated in NU Learning and Teaching Strategy and other university policies. Mentor, develop, and coordinate faculty and staff.
Foster a Research Culture
- Define and communicate the School’s research strategy. Develop personal research interests, in consultation with the Provost. Promote research integrity, ensuring that all School faculty and staff uphold research ethics when planning, conducting, and reporting research and scholarly activities. Lead the School's national and international external relationships. Consistent with university policy, encourage technology transfer and commercialization of intellectual properties developed by faculty and students.
Integrate Research and Teaching
- Uphold the University Learning and Teaching Strategy. Oversee the quality enhancement of courses and programs using the NU Quality Framework. Collaborate with other Schools to optimise teaching and learning resources, including sharing of courses and sharing faculty resources, as appropriate. Ensure that student feedback on courses and programs is communicated to faculty, and that action plans are developed and implemented.
The Dean will also undertake any other duties and responsibilities required for the success of the School, in consultation with the Provost.
This job description reflects the present requirements of the post and, as duties and responsibilities develop, the job description will be reviewed and be subject to amendment in consultation with the Dean.