- UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST OF SCOTLAND
- Paisley, Renfrewshire (GB)
- Grade 6 £39,592 - £47,047 per annum
- 02 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 28 Mar 2023
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Paisley Campus, with hybrid working available and travel to other UWS campuses as required
Full time (part time of 4 days/28 hours per week will be considered)
THE POST – Contracts Manager
The University of the West of Scotland is a dynamic and ambitious organisation that aims to change lives, transform communities and encourage enterprise through outstanding, distinctive and progressive higher education.
We are looking to appoint an experienced Contracts manager. Reporting to the Head of Research, this role provides an exciting opportunity for an experienced practitioner to join an established and welcoming team in the Research Services Department!
The role involves working as part of the Research Services Department to deliver high quality and professional advice and guidance to internal stakeholders in respect of current and emerging regulatory and legal requirements. You will work proactively providing high quality support and advice to academic staff in the preparation, submission and contractual negotiation of research grants and awards. You will provide support to ensure timely acceptance of the award including contract negotiation and ensuring all ethical and due diligence checks are complete.
You should be committed to working in and contributing to an environment of continuous improvement and you will contribute towards the ongoing development and implementation of effective policy, procedures and guidelines in line with funders requirements.
The successful candidate should have the following:
- Educated to a degree level (law degree) or Professional legal qualification or equivalent.
- Experience of advising in relation to collaborative research.
- Extensive practical knowledge and experience of advising in relation to legal issues associated with the Higher Education sector, research funders, intellectual property and/or technology transfer
- Experience of drafting and negotiating agreement types relevant to the role.
- Experience of successfully managing a complex and substantial workload.
The ideal candidate will be solution focussed and thrive in a fast-paced environment and enjoy a varied workload. Working at a strategic level, you will possess strong negotiation skills and look to promote new ways of working to improve our service delivery.
UWS was named Higher Educational Institution of the Year in The Herald Higher Education Awards 2022 and is officially ranked by Times Higher Education in the top 600 universities worldwide (2022 World University Rankings) as well as in the top 150 universities worldwide under 50 years old (2022 Young University Rankings). University of the West of Scotland is one of Scotland’s largest and most dynamic modern universities. Our reach across the country, together with our London campus, means that UWS is a significant force in global knowledge creation, innovation, and a leading provider of undergraduate, postgraduate and research degree education. Our degrees provide students with a transformational experience; equipping them with highly sought-after graduate skills that set them up for global success in world-leading sectors, industries and businesses.
With cutting-edge courses, modern pedagogy and practical knowledge, we enable our students and staff to experience the joy of learning, teaching, research and innovation, and apply their knowledge for the benefit of others.
Our professional services teams are the backbone of UWS, providing robust and innovative solutions to support the vast range of work across learning and teaching, and research and innovation. You will join a supportive and dedicated team, playing a key role in a range of work that will help drive forward our ambition to deliver world-leading research, and graduates who will design, shape and build a new future. Find out more about our Professional Services teams.
We offer our staff a caring and supportive environment, across five campuses, and a competitive benefits package which includes:
- 24 days of annual leave, plus a further 12 days for public/university holidays
- 19.3% employer’s pension contribution, including death in service benefits on joining the pension scheme
- A flexible approach to working pattern and work-life balance
- Employee discount scheme across 3,500 retailers
- Fitness facilities across our campuses
- Free gym membership
- Access to a range of health and wellbeing resources, including occupational health, physiotherapy and access to our Employee Assistance Programme Professional, career and research development opportunities.
Further Information, including details of how to apply is available at our website.
Closing date: 28th March 2023
Interview Date: 11th April 2023
The University reserves the right to shorten/extend the closing date of any position where a high/low volume of suitable applications are received. Therefore, if you are interested in this role, an early application would be encouraged.
UWS is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from underrepresented groups.
UWS is a “Disability Confident” employer.
University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity, no. SC002520.