Legal Writing Faculty (Teaching Professor Track)
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO BOULDER
- 02 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 01 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Arts & Humanities, Languages, Literature & Linguistics, Social Sciences, Law
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Legal Writing Faculty (Teaching Professor Track)
Requisition Number: 46476
Location: Boulder Colorado
Employment Type: Faculty
Schedule: Full Time
Posting Close Date:
The University of Colorado Law School seeks a faculty member to join its legal writing program. As Colorado Law seeks to build and further enhance the status and national reputation of our program and faculty, we are especially interested in candidates with prior law teaching experience and strong leadership skills.
We seek applications from candidates with excellent academic records and demonstrated teaching ability. The initial appointment is for a one-year contract. If review at the end of the first year results in retention, subsequent contracts will be for three years.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
We are an engaged, diverse, and inclusive community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni who help one another succeed. Our selective admissions process keeps our student body small, enabling our faculty, staff, alumni, and community to invest deeply in each student’s success, while preserving space for innovative faculty research. Because we take our responsibility to educate and train future lawyers very seriously, our curriculum, research centers, and experiential learning opportunities are designed to prepare students for success in today’s changing legal environment.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
The legal writing faculty includes seven full-time legal writing professionals. This position would require the faculty member to teach Legal Writing I during the fall semester and Legal Writing II during the spring semester to approximately thirty first-year law students. The faculty member will also be required to teach one upper-level writing course for 2-3 credits. Small sections allow the faculty members to guide their students' development of skills in legal analysis and writing through close feedback on frequent written work and individual conferences with students. Legal writing faculty members prepare lectures and discussions for classes each week, design writing projects, grade and critique several writing assignments each semester, and meet with students individually several times during the semester.
The workload for this position would be divided as follows: 70% Teaching / 30% Service:
- This position will teach an annual workload of 3 courses or 6-7 credits. Faculty members are expected to provide instruction and student advising as assigned by the Dean or their delegate.
- Classroom instruction responsibilities include holding class for the entire period for which the class is scheduled (including the final examination period) and evaluating students' work and assigning grades within the policies of school and campus.
- Ongoing curriculum development and planning is also an important component of teaching.
- This position includes service to the institution, profession, and community. University service involves membership in departmental, college-level and university committees, attending departmental meetings, student recruitment, processing routine paperwork such as filling out reports, answering email, and participating in surveys.
What You Should Know
All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to comply with the campus COVID-19 vaccine requirement. New employees must provide proof of vaccination or receive a medical or religious exemption within 30 days of employment.
What We Can Offer
The salary for this position is $75,000 - $100,000 per Academic Year. Onboarding assistance is available within School of Law guidelines.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be dynamic. Be impactful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Juris Doctor degree from an ABA-accredited law school or equivalent degree in a related field.
- Strong analytical, writing, and research skills.
- At least two years of legal practice or two years of experience teaching legal writing (or related subjects) is required.
What You Will Need
Helpful qualifications include:
- A distinguished academic record.
- Demonstrated experience teaching law students.
- The demonstrated ability to work and develop curricula collaboratively with doctrinal faculty members. Colorado Law is seeking to integrate legal writing courses with other courses throughout the law school curriculum.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- Current Resume/CV
- Names and contact information for three references who may be contacted for letters of recommendation, should your candidacy advance. Contact information should include address, daytime telephone number and email
- Writing sample
The final candidate will be required to provide proof of completed academic degree in the form of a transcript or diploma copy.
Candidates should apply as soon as possible, and no later than March 15, 2023, for full consideration. The position will remain open until filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
To apply, visit https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/Legal-Writing-Faculty-Teaching-Professor-Track/46476
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency