Research Instrumentation Scientist/Specialist - Small Animal Imaging Core Technology Platforms
- NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 02 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 01 Apr 2023
- Job Type
- Research Related, Other Research Related
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
The Core Technology Platforms (CTP) at New York University Abu Dhabi are multidisciplinary, centrally organized research facilities comprised of 12 core laboratories. We provide hundreds of research equipment, user training, and research support to NYU Abu Dhabi's academic community and collaborators. For more information, please refer to the CTP website.
The CTP seeks to appoint a Research Instrumentation Scientist – Small Anima Imaging (Phd) or a Research Instrumentation Specialist – Small Anima Imaging (BSc or MSc) for a Fixed Term of three years, renewable.
The successful candidate will be a member of NYU Abu Dhabi Core Technology Platforms (CTP) Operations reporting to the Executive Director of the CTP department.
- Will work with researchers and faculty to develop and optimize protocols for projects spanning brain imaging and a broad range of cancer research, including monitoring tumor development, imaging of tumor microenvironment and vascularity, and tumor drug response.
- Should be able to demonstrate strong knowledge and experience with research-level laboratory instrumentation and must have strong background and experience in the operation of in vivo imaging systems, micro-CT, and small animal MRI, including data preprocessing.
- Will coordinate instrument use scheduling and tracking, manage the lab's financial, budgetary, and cost tracking aspects, and prepare progress reports and research strategies for small animal imaging needs.
Duties will include:
- Manage the operation of the small animal imaging lab.
- Provide training to students and researchers in neuroimaging data collection and analysis, including in vivo imaging systems such as IVIS Spectrum, micro-CT systems, and future small animal MRI machines.
- Establish equipment operation and maintenance protocols, including risk assessments and standard operating procedures.
- Maintain institutional protocols necessary for imaging animals, including protocols with the Animal Care and Use Committee, the Radiation Safety Committee, and the Biosafety Committee.
- Consult with researchers to select appropriate tools and methods for data analysis, including modern statistical techniques for multiple-comparisons correction, denoising, multivariate analyses, functional connectivity analyses, and surface-based analyses.
- Organize training workshops and seminars to expose researchers to new developments in imaging methods and analysis techniques.
- Manages inventory and purchasing of supplies.
The candidate must be willing to be trained on additional equipment as required and operate them. He may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this job description.
Applicants must have a PhD degree for the Research Instrumentation Scientist postion and BSc or MSc for the Research Instrumentation Specialist position in a relevant field.
This position requires:
- Five years of relevant experience must include extensive work with small animal imaging, research training, data acquisition and analysis, statistics, and/or signal processing.
- Experience conducting scientific research that includes methods and technologies associated with analytical or relevant fields.
- Experience with small animal imaging methods such as MRI or spectroscopy, Optical Imaging, Computed Tomography, or Nuclear Medicine.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, solid written, verbal, and presentation skills.
The terms of employment are very competitive and include housing and educational subsidies for children. Applications will be accepted immediately, and candidates will be considered until the position is filled. To be considered, all applicants must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, transcript of degree, and at least two letters of recommendation, all in PDF format. If you have any questions, please email: email@example.com
NYU Abu Dhabi is a degree-granting research university with a fully integrated liberal arts and science undergraduate program in the Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering. NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU New York, and NYU Shanghai, form the backbone of NYU's global network university, an interconnected network of portal campuses and academic centers across six continents that enable seamless international mobility of students and faculty in their pursuit of academic and scholarly activity. This global university represents a transformative shift in higher education, one in which the intellectual and creative endeavors of academia are shaped and examined through an international and multicultural perspective. As a major intellectual hub at the crossroads of the Arab world, NYUAD serves as a center for scholarly thought, advanced research, knowledge creation, and sharing, through its academic, research, and creative activities.
EOE/AA/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity Employer
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
For people in the EU, click here for information on your privacy rights under GDPR: www.nyu.edu/it/gdpr
NYU is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity, and social inclusion.