Research Fellow, Applied Statistics
- UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA
- Perth (Suburb), Western Australia (AU)
- $105,043 – $124,301 p.a. (pro-rata) plus 17% superannuation
- 02 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 31 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Research Fellowships
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
- Two-year fixed term full-time appointment
- Level B, base salary range: $105,043 – $124,301 p.a. (pro-rata) plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research intensive universities. With a strong research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to innovate and inspire, there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
The position is in the Centre for Applied Statistics which is located in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics. The Centre for Applied Statistics has, for over 40 years, provided expert training and consultancy in statistics to enable the University community as well as governments, businesses and private clients to produce excellent research. The Centre for Applied Statistics consists of staff directly hired by the centre and various academic statisticians, mostly from the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, which collaborate with the centre.
About the opportunity
As a Research Fellow you will undertake statistical consultation activities independently, or in collaboration with others, to internal and external parties.
You will be involved in epidemiological, biostatistical and bioinformatics research in a multidisciplinary team and provide some leadership in research activities and experiments. You will provide statistical and computational support, present data and results and publish scholarly papers.
To be considered for this opportunity, you will have:
- Masters degree or PhD in statistics or an equivalent relevant field
- Proficiency in a range of computing skills including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, internet and email and statistics packages such as R or equivalent
- Ability to teach short courses currently offered by the Centre for Applied Statistics, with an interest in developing further courses
- High level knowledge of applications of statistics in research
- A track record of collaborating with researchers ideally including co-authored
- Highly developed communication skills, with the ability to work independently and part of a team
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: PD 513762.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria
You may also submit an additional statement (1 page max) outlining any personal circumstances which should be considered when assessing your application. Applicants who have experienced periods of academic/professional interruption or other relevant events can include a description of achievements relative to opportunity in this statement.
Closing date: 11:55 PM AWST on Friday , 31st March 2023
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Berwin Turlach on (08) 6488 3383 or at email@example.com
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive workplace. We celebrate difference and believe diversity is fundamental to achieving our goals as a globally recognised Top 100 educational and research institution. We are committed to creating a safe work environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with disability.
- We have a globally competitive, gender neutral parental leave policy with 26 weeks paid leave after 12 months service and 36 weeks after 5 years.
- We have on-campus childcare facilities for children aged 6 weeks to kindy.
- We facilitate flexible working, with part-time and job-sharing arrangements considered.
- We have an ongoing partnership with Pride in Diversity and were recently awarded a Bronze Employer status for LGBTIQA+ inclusion.
- We have Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation and actively work to improve gender equity.
Should you have any queries relating to your application, please contact the individual named in the advertisement. Alternatively, contact the Talent team at firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your query. To enable a quick response, please include the 6-digit job reference number and a member of the team will respond to your enquiry.