Research Assistant / Associate, Furnace and Nanofabrication
1 day left
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 01 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 31 Mar 2023
- Contract Type
- Full Time
The Institute for Functional Intelligent Materials (I-FIM) at the National University of Singapore is a Research Centre of Excellence newly established in Sept 2021 for the conception, characterization, modeling, and development of new intelligent materials and transformative technologies.
Helmed by two Directors who are world leaders in Material Science and Physics, the new institute aims to train and support to a new generation of scientists and engineers who will have a permanent impact in science, society and business enterprise landscape worldwide. Well-funded and new, the Institute is poised to build in a highly innovative and supportive research environment, providing plenty of opportunities to interact with experienced individuals in fields ranging from electrical engineering, material science to physics, chemistry and biology working with state-of-the-art equipment and new platform technologies.
We are looking for a skilled and motivated Research Assistant/Associate with experience in material growth and device fabrication for scientific research. The selected candidate will assume responsibilities including (but not limited to); equipment training, experimental assistance and ensuring compliance to safety. This person is expected to work in close proximity to the central facility manager, procurement team and the safety coordinator.
The job scope will cover:
Support material growth and furnace lab
- For high temperature experiments such as chemical vapor deposition (CVD), carry out the following day-day responsibilities, 1) Learn how to operate the furnaces 2) Train new users and 3) carry out day-day pre-usage checks and oversee equipment usage during experiments
- Support the facility manager (FM) to 1) perform diagnostic tests and in-house troubleshoots 2) engage vendor for periodic calibration and preventive maintenance of Mass Flow Controllers (MFC), pumps, scrubber systems, heat and gas extractors
- Perform literature review, and assist researchers in optimizing the growth recipes
- Support researchers to write Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and Risk Assessment (RA) for new recipes
- Together with the users, perform routine cleaning of the furnace tubes, piping, connectors, exhaust system and any spare components
- Maintain stock of spare parts and accessories, and inform procurement team when to buy replacements
Support device fabrication lab
- Be trained and support users on polymer fabrication, solvent processes, and micromanipulation experiments for crystal assemblies
- Support FM to maintain, upkeep and repair hardware. Engage with vendors as and when required
- Manage inventory of consumables (polymers, solvents, crystals etc) and work with procurement for timely replenishment
- Perform literature review, and assist researchers in optimizing and innovating fabrication recipes and stacking processes
- Support researchers to write Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and Risk Assessment (RA) for new fabrication recipes and stacking processes
- At least a Bachelors in Sciences, Engineering or their equivalent from a reputable university (preferably with Masters)
- Have at least 3 years’ working experience in technical support and management, either in research labs or industry (manufacturing, air con, wafer labs)
- Experience in writing standard operating procedures and risk assessments will be considered a bonus
- Extensive experience in handling, operating and maintaining research grade equipment, especially high temperature furnaces/ovens
- Good communication, organisation and writing skills
- A good team player and keen to support colleagues and researchers in their activities
- Proactive with a hands-on approach. The candidate should be willing to actively participate in fault finding and repair process for various equipment and services
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Institute for Functional Intelligent Materials
Department : Technical & Research Support
Job requisition ID : 17888