2 days left
- KHALIFA UNIVERSITY
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 01 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 31 Mar 2023
- Job Type
- Research Related, Research Associate
- Contract Type
- Full Time
About Khalifa University
Khalifa University is ranked 181st in the QS World University Rankings 2023, and the top University in the UAE, with a range of research and academic programs designed to address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challenges facing our rapidly evolving world.
Its world-class faculty and state-of-the-art research facilities provide an unparalleled learning experience to students from the UAE and around the world. Our research and academic activities cover a broad range of disciplines in engineering, science and medicine through our three colleges.
Khalifa University’s research relates to key focus sectors of relevance to the UAE’s strategic economic growth and the technology platforms that serve as foundations for these sectors. The University’s research priorities are addressed in two categories “verticals” and “horizontals” which jointly cover specific industry and sector needs, technical platforms and expertise.
KU’s focus sectors are Clean and Renewable Energy, Hydrocarbon Exploration and Production, Water and Environment, Healthcare, Aerospace, and Supply Chain and Logistics. Research in these sectors is enhanced by our research platforms of Robotics, AI and Data Science, Information and Communication Technologies, and Advanced Materials and Manufacturing as well as Fundamental Sciences.
KU is seeking a highly motivated research associate to work in the Regenerative Therapies lab led by Dr. Kohli to unravel the secretory factors of mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) in health and disease. The overall focus of the laboratory is to harness the regenerative potential of MSCs in the form of a therapeutic cocktail of regenerative factors to develop new strategies for treating musculoskeletal conditions.
The primary aim of the research associate is to build up on the current work and pioneer the banking of MSC secretome. They will apply core techniques in cell biology, microscopy, and cell culture to bank healthy and diseased stem cells. The incumbent will perform in vitro assays, plan experiments, analyze data, write scientific papers and present at local and international conferences. Expectations will be to perform experiments and perform general lab duties including ordering reagents as well as laboratory maintenance and ordering laboratory supplies. To be successful, the research associate must be flexible to adjust to changing priorities and eager to learn.
As part of the project, the researcher will have access to state-of-the-art research equipment and facilities at the KU Healthcare Engineering Innovation Center (HEIC) and will get an opportunity to work alongside researchers and graduate students from various backgrounds as well as clinicians as a part of a wider team.
- Perform or assist in bench lab experiments involving mesenchymal stem cell culture, protein assays and handling human samples.
- Analyze large sets of data generated from proteomic analyses and use bioinformatics tools to analyze and produce streamlined data sets
- Analyze stem cell factors from healthy and diseased tissue.
- Provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Write reports and present research plans at regular lab meetings.
- Supervise BSc, MSc student experiments.
- Present research plans and findings in a clear and concise style, both in oral and written modes of communication.
- Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position
- Masters from a reputable university in biomedical engineering or related discipline.
- Experience writing scientific or review papers
- Skill set required: primary mammalian cell culture, microscopy, imaging-widefield and confocal, RNA, DNA extraction, protein purification and mass spec sample preparation.
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- The proven ability to work on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines
- Ability to train and mentor students and support fellow researchers
- Highly developed reasoning and problem-solving skills
- MSc gained from a top 200 QS or THE ranked University
- At least some relevant experience as a researcher in academia or in industry.
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Primary Location: Khalifa University - Abu Dhabi, UAE
Job: Research Associate
Job Type: Full-time