Research Assistant / Research Associate, Cancer Science Institute
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 01 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 31 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Life sciences, Biological Sciences
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Are you a biomedical researcher motivated to pursue an outstanding career in cancer research with a focus on organoid research?
Cancer will affect more than 1 in 3 Singaporeans. At the Cancer Science Institute (CSI), our mission is to be at the global forefront of research to overcome this scourge. Our innovative international faculty, cutting-edge facilities, supportive working environment and competitive package together enable each of our staff to realize their maximum potential.
We now seek a Research Assistant/ Associate to join the team of Prof. Ashok Venkitaraman. This is an exciting opportunity to work closely with a world-leading cancer researcher to undertake pioneering research on the role of genome instability in human carcinogenesis (eg., see Venkitaraman Science (2014) PMID:24675954 and Venkitaraman DNA Repair (2019) PMID:31337537).
The role will provide expertise in the establishment, genetic manipulation and maintenance of human and murine cell cultures, performance of animal work as well as design/ perform and analyse work within the project parameters.
design, perform and analyse work with mouse models to carry out assigned molecular and cell biology experiments (i.e. cloning, FACS, western blotting, RNA, sequencing, microscopy) and perform analysis and determinations as tasked to organise, preserve and present the results of the experiments in a logical manner to properly and systematically record all experiments that have been assigned and their results
maintain up to date records of inventories for chemical/ biological reagents assist when required with procurement ensure tidiness and cleanliness of the lab is maintained
- University degree in a relevant field
- Significant amount of experience working with human and/ or murine organoids
- Ability to speak and write clearly in English
- Minimum 2 to 3 years work experience in a molecular biology lab;
- Qualified (RCULA) to work with animal models with practical experience
- Basic principles and practices in the fields of biology.
- Principles, techniques and terminology used in cancer biology.
- Methods of scientific research and relevant scientific theories.
- Appropriate computer operations, software and peripherals.
- General rules for safe exposure and handling of chemical and biological hazards
- IRB, HBRA & IACUC regulations
- Principles, techniques and terminology used in organoid model systems and genomic and RNA sequencing as well as common lab molecular and cell biology techniques (desirable)
- Perform laboratory tests in an efficient and timely manner
- Work cooperatively and effectively with others
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.