Senior Research Fellow (Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology)
7 days left
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 01 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 31 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health, Medicine & Dentistry, Life sciences, Biological Sciences
- Contract Type
- Full Time
The National University of Singapore invites applications for the position of Senior Research Fellow in Associate Professor Matt Kemp’s laboratory in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine. The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology is dedicated to providing excellent and affordable care to patients. This mission is driven by staff with a common identity – to support patient care through best-in-class medical practices informed by insights from cutting-edge clinical and translational research.
Preterm birth, being born before 37 weeks’ gestation, is the leading cause of early childhood death and disability in Singapore today. A/Prof Kemp’s laboratory is focused on improving outcomes for premature babies and their families. Although the laboratory focuses foremost on driving health outcomes in Singapore and the Asia-Pacific Region, our broader aim is to achieve a lasting global impact through translationally-focussed research. In addition to core research programs, the laboratory is establishing a variety of in-vivo and in-vitro research platforms, with a focus on minimally-invasive fetal diagnostics, pregnancy in space, personalized therapeutics, and biological processes underpinning adverse fetal outcomes.
Purpose of the Post
The Senior Research Fellow will be responsible to, and work closely with A/Prof Kemp in executing the laboratory’s research program. The successful candidate will also be expected to work collaboratively with, and support the efforts of the wider laboratory team (scientists, clinicians, PhD, MSc and Hons students). The principal role will involve wet-lab laboratory studies (immunohistochemistry, cell culture, qPCR, western blot, bulk and sc/snRNASEQ) and data analysis (RNASEQ, general statistical analyses).
In addition to supporting the laboratory’s existing work, the successful candidate will be given the time and support to develop his or her own lines of investigation in relation to the laboratory’s main areas of interest. Some travel may be required. Experience in project management and RNASEQ data analysis would be an advantage, as would a willingness to assist with animal studies from time to time.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Research Fellow will liaise with relevant personnel in the laboratory and the Department to assist A/Prof Kemp in the operation of his laboratory as well as research-related administrative duties.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Independently run key wet-lab analyses including quantitative PCR, western blot, cell culture, immunohistochemistry;
- Generate libraries for RNASEQ and analyse data;
- Contribute to the day to day running of the laboratory including the analysis of samples, ordering of equipment and consumables, execution of in-vitro and in-vivo experiments, supervision of graduate students and visiting fellows;
- Teach key laboratory techniques (above) to new staff members and students;
- Conduct literature searches, analyse data and maintain records of research data generated by the laboratory;
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Write funding applications and scientific papers;
- Assist with animal studies (mouse, sheep, non-human primate);
- Supervise a growing team, manage a multi-project research portfolio, and design protocols to deliver high-quality clinical research.
- Generate data to support on-going projects and develop own research program in alignment with the laboratory’s areas of interest;
- Prepare oral presentations, research reports, scientific papers and funding applications;
- Present findings at laboratory and national meetings;
- Assist with supervision of graduate students and visiting fellows;
- Maintain the highest standard of professional conduct and record keeping in accordance with policies and procedures;
- Assist with any other duties of a similar nature that are delegated by A/Prof Kemp.
- Basic degree in medical technology, medical sciences or a related field including biotechnology / life sciences;
- Completed postgraduate training with PhD;
- Post-doctoral experience with demonstrated track record of publications;
- Candidates with a background in reproductive biology, molecular biology, obstetrics are encouraged to apply;
- Be able to work independently and assist in leading a multinational research team, have an enquiring nature, strong work ethic, and demonstrate attention to detail;
- Have knowledge of relevant software, e.g. MS office, PowerPoint, Cell Ranger, SPSS, Loupe. Experience with Conda and R-Studio an advantage.
Other requirements and skills:
- Ability to work under pressure and work independently;
- Excellent administrative skills; and
- Ability to lead and inspire a growing team.
The remuneration package will be competitive and commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience. This is an ideal opportunity for a newly graduated investigator looking for a well-resourced, productive research team from which to launch an impactful career in perinatal research. For additional queries please feel free to contact A/Prof Kemp (firstname.lastname@example.org) directly
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
Department : Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 18705