Visiting English Tutor, Centre for English and Additional Languages
- LINGNAN UNIVERSITY
- Tuen Mun, Hong Kong
- 01 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 31 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Arts & Humanities, Languages, Literature & Linguistics
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Tutors
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Lingnan University, a distinctive liberal arts institution in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, is committed to the provision of quality whole-person education by combining the best of Chinese and Western liberal arts traditions. It strives to pursue excellence in teaching, learning, scholarship and community engagement. With three academic Faculties and the School of Interdisciplinary Studies, it offers a wide range of undergraduate degree programmes in the areas of Arts, Business and Social Sciences, and the broad curriculum covers an array of general education, interdisciplinary and science courses. The School of Graduate Studies offers research and taught postgraduate programmes up to doctoral level in various disciplines, and provides professional education for the wider society. Lingnan’s liberal arts education is characterised by a broad-based interdisciplinary curriculum with specialised disciplinary studies; close student-staff relationship; a vibrant residential campus; ample global learning opportunities; active community engagement and multifarious workplace experience. Applications are now invited for the following post:
Centre for English and Additional Languages
Centre for English and Additional Languages (CEAL) cordially invites fresh graduates from Hong Kong and our partner institutions across the world, as part of the Liberal Arts Alliance, to apply for the Visiting English Tutor position.
Visiting English Tutors (VETs) run the English Language Support Service (ELSS) within the Centre for English and Additional Languages (CEAL) at Lingnan University, Hong Kong, where they provide English advice to undergraduate and postgraduate students, aid in the development of self-access materials, conduct writing and speaking tutorial workshops, and design and run academic workshops.
VETs also organise a wide range of academic and social events aimed at broadening students’ English language skills, including film nights, board games, and dinners. A major objective of the VET scheme is to provide opportunities for Lingnan University students to mix with people of a similar age but from different cultural backgrounds. Therefore, those with a willingness to actively engage and socialize with local Hong Kong students are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Be about to graduate or have recently graduated from a Bachelor’s degree in Hong Kong, one of our partner universities, or a member of the Global Liberal Arts Alliance.
- Be highly proficient in the English language, with an IELTS score of 8.0 or above.
- Be interested in living in and working in Hong Kong for at least one year.
- Be interested in interacting with students from different cultural backgrounds.
- Be interested in gaining experience in the tertiary education ESL field.
- Have an outgoing personality.
- Have a basic certificate-level teaching qualification with a minimum of 100 hours input (can be gained after receiving a provisional offer).
Enquires shall be directed to the ELSS Coordinator, Hee Kyung Hong, by email at email@example.com.
Salary and Benefits
- The position is tenable from mid-August 2023 till mid-June 2024 (10-months), with the possibility of a further one-year (10-months) extension.
- The monthly salary is fixed at HK$17,590 per month (approximately US$2,255).
- All VETs are provided with a single occupancy, fully furnished and fully equipped apartment on campus.
- Medical and dental benefits are provided by Lingnan University.
- Assistance will be given in obtaining a valid Hong Kong work visa from the Hong Kong Immigration Department.
Application Procedure (online application only)
Please click "Apply Now" to submit your application by 28 February 2023. Personal data collected will be used for recruitment purposes only.
We are an equal opportunities employer. Review of applications will continue until the posts are filled. Qualified candidates are advised to submit their applications early for consideration.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment for the posts advertised, or to fill the posts by invitation or by search. We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.