Director, Research and Innovation
- FEDERATION UNIVERSITY AUSTRALIA
- Ballarat, Australia
- 28 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 19 Mar 2023
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
At Federation University we transform lives and enhance communities
- Contribute and promote world leading research and make a real impact
- Opportunity to grow the Research team
- Attractive Remuneration + up to 17% super > additional paid leave days
- Full-time, fixed term (5 years)
A great opportunity
You will be responsible for contributing to and promoting the future growth strategy of innovative and world leading applied research, researcher development, compliance and reporting at Federation University Australia.
Your exemplary leadership will build functional service delivery, setting and maintaining expected standards of support ensuring compliance is strengthened and maintained.
Your strategic leadership will build capability on knowledge transfer and commercialisation of research as well as in programs that assure the mentoring and career development of researchers. You will also contribute to maximising research funding to the University and ensure that the impact of its outputs are relevant to the communities that the University serves, nationally and internationally.
Your demonstrated knowledge in relation to research evaluation, performance measurement and funding including the development and implementation of associated policies and processes, will ensure your success in this position.
What you will deliver
- A range of strategies to support future University research growth plans with a particular focus on maximising the generation of research income, continuously improving the quality of research outputs and enhancing the research reputation of Federation University.
- Leadership and direction to managers and supervisors within the Research Services Directorate by building capability and functional service delivery, setting and maintaining expected standards of support to research centres and teaching Institutes ensuring that compliance standards are maintained.
- The development and implementation of an integrated research management system, which facilitates efficient, effective and proactive support to researchers and enhances delivery of the University strategy.
- Monitor regulatory changes, assess the impact on the University’s conduct and management of research. Establish, modify and maintain appropriate research conduct and management policies and procedures.
- Lead the review of critical processes and ensure they are sustained to meet statutory, contractual and reporting requirements, and that the University’s academic regulatory framework is fit for purpose and complies with external agency requirements.
- Lead the development of policies, procedures and processes for the successful disclosure, development and commercialisation of University’s intellectual property.
- Lead, manage and enhance the University’s researcher development program, to ensure successful mentoring of early and mid-career researchers.
- Lead and manage the University’s research data and performance team, to provide market intelligence and to maximise the inputs and outputs of the University’s research
What you need to succeed
- A continuous improvement mindset with an innovative and practical lens which challenges the status quo.
- A doctoral qualification or equivalent professional qualifications and extensive experience in a research management or commercialization environment.
- The ability to contribute effectively to the strategic research direction of a large, diverse organisation preferably in a tertiary environment.
- Experience and knowledge of issues around research evaluation, performance measurement and funding including the development and implementation of associated policies and processes.
- A thorough knowledge of the research ethics and integrity frameworks, particularly in Australia
- Proven leadership and management skills at a senor level which have been developed at both strategic and operational levels.
- Extensive experience in managing and developing a team of multi-disciplinary professional staff including the management of financial resources.
- Expertise in developing strategies for growth in research income.
What we promise to provide
- Attractive remuneration and up to 17% superannuation
- 20 days annual leave per year, plus 4 bonus days per year.
- Leave loading or exchange for additional leave days
- 14 weeks of Paid Parental Leave and 12 weeks paid return to work bonus
- Additional personal leave in excess of statutory requirements
- Up to 3 paid pupil free days
- Hybrid work environment ( Min 3 days at Mt Helen)
- Formal performance review and development program including a professional development catalogue
- Childcare on campus (Mt Helen and Gippsland)
- Recognition programs
- Access to a variety of wellbeing programs
- UniSports Health and Fitness Centre in Mt Helen
- Strong diversity, inclusion, wellbeing and corporate responsibility priorities
How to apply
Please apply by Sunday, 19 March 2023
Applicants are required to submit a resume and address the key selection criteria
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application, please email the Recruitment team or phone 03 5327 9756. Our position descriptions also list a contact person for job specific enquiries.
Further information you may find useful
Diversity & Inclusion
We value diversity, embrace difference and nurture a connected, safe and respectful community. We strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people of all cultures, abilities, sexualities and genders.
Find out more about our Aboriginal and Torres Islander Employment Strategy.
Should you require additional support please email Organisational Development and Diversity.
What do our employees think about working at Federation University
Hear from our employees directly - let our staff tell you more.
Federation University Values in Action
We foster a positive culture shaped by our values of inclusion, innovation, excellence, empowerment and collaboration as outlined in Federation’s Living Values Charter
Listen to our employees talk about how the University values are displayed in everyday interactions. https://youtu.be/KlDn5RKKMmU
Federation University is committed to The Circle Back Initiative program, whereby we will respond to every applicant.