Research Associate / PhD student, Institute of Hydrology and Meteorology
7 days left
- Dresden, Sachsen (DE)
- 28 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 31 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Physical Sciences, Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Technische Universität Dresden (TUD), as a University of Excellence, is one of the leading and most dynamic research institutions in the country. Founded in 1828, today it is a globally oriented, regionally anchored top university as it focuses on the grand challenges of the 21st century. It develops innovative solutions for the world's most pressing issues. In research and academic programs, the university unites the natural and engineering sciences with the humanities, social sciences and medicine. This wide range of disciplines is a special feature, facilitating interdisciplinarity and transfer of science to society. As a modern employer, it offers attractive working conditions to all employees in teaching, research, technology and administration. The goal is to promote and develop their individual abilities while empowering everyone to reach their full potential. TUD embodies a university culture that is characterized by cosmopolitanism, mutual appreciation, thriving innovation and active participation. For TUD diversity is an essential feature and a quality criterion of an excellent university. Accordingly, we welcome all applicants who would like to commit themselves, their achievements and productivity to the success of the whole institution.
At the Faculty of Environmental Sciences, Department of Hydrosciences, Institute of Hydrology and Meteorology, the Chair of Meteorology offers a position as
Research Associate / PhD student (m/f/x)
(subject to personal qualification employees are remunerated according to salary group E 13 TV-L)
starting as soon as possible. The position comprises 75% of the full-time weekly hours and is limited to 36 months, funded by the DFG project "The effect of roof-mounted photo-voltaic modules on the urban microclimate and indoor thermal comfort (EUPHORIC)". The period of employment is governed by the Fixed Term Research Contracts Act (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz – WissZeitVG). This project is conducted in close cooperation with the Leibnitz University Hannover and the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt in Braunschweig. The position offers the chance to obtain further academic qualification (e.g. PhD).
Tasks: The main objective is the investigation the effect of area-wide PV deployment in urban areas on the urban microclimate in terms of thermal comfort and air quality. For this purpose, we plan to implement a new parameterization for roof-top PV panels in the LES model PALM and use the model to simulate and analyze the effects of the area-wide deployment of PV panels under realistic atmospheric conditions. These simulations will be evaluated by in-situ measurements of turbulent fluxes under the challenging conditions of urban environments.
- university degree (Master), preferably in meteorology, geoecology, environmental sciences, physics, hydrology, hydro science and engineering or similar programs of study with a focus on micrometeorology, numerical modelling and fluid dynamics
- strong hands-on and problem-solving skills; high motivation, good organizational skills, and an independent and conscientious approach to work
- reliability and a high degree of initiative; interest in environmental atmospheric sciences as well as interdisciplinary cooperation and good team spirit
- good programming skills in data analytics, e.g. R, Python, ideally also FORTRAN
- strong communication skills including good oral and writing skills. Very good English skills and at least a basic knowledge of German would be preferred.
TUD strives to employ more women in academia and research. We therefore expressly encourage women to apply. The University is a certified family-friendly university and offers a Dual Career Service. We welcome applications from candidates with disabilities. If multiple candidates prove to be equally qualified, those with disabilities or with equivalent status pursuant to the German Social Code IX (SGB IX) will receive priority for employment.
Please submit your comprehensive application including a cover letter about your motivation, CV, and other usual documents by March 31, 2023 (stamped arrival date of the university central mail service applies), preferably via the TU Dresden SecureMail Portal https://securemail.tu-dresden.de by sending it as a single pdf-document to firstname.lastname@example.org or to: TU Dresden, Fakultät Umweltwissenschaften, Fachrichtung Hydrowissenschaften, Institut für Hydrologie und Meteorologie, Professur für Meteorologie, Herrn Prof. Dr. Matthias Mauder, Helmholtzstr. 10, 01069 Dresden, Germany. Please submit copies only, as your application will not be returned to you. Expenses incurred in attending interviews cannot be reimbursed.
Reference to data protection: Your data protection rights, the purpose for which your data will be processed, as well as further information about data protection is available to you on the website: https://tu-dresden.de/karriere/datenschutzhinweis
More searches like this
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Academic Posts jobs in Germany
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Studentships / Grants & Scholarships jobs in Germany
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Research Related jobs in Germany
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Research Associate jobs in Germany