Teaching Assistant (Sciences)
6 days left
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 28 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 30 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Social Sciences, Education
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Other Academic
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Teaching Assistant (Sciences) at College of Humanities and Sciences
The College of Humanities and Sciences (CHS) is inviting applications for the post of Full-Time Teaching Assistant (FTTA) for the undergraduate module, HSI1000 How Science Works, Why Science Works. This is the Scientific Inquiry 1 requirement in the common curricular of the college.
The FTTA will work with a team of professors and other FTTAs to achieve teaching and learning goals of the module. CHS. The FTTA must be familiar with administration and data management, be digitally competent, be consultative with peers and quick to adapt to dynamic situations. They must be quick to understand undergraduate student issues, be a communicative team player and possess a passion for teaching. The role will introduce scientific inquiry from a variety of perspectives and the applicant must be comfortable approaching this topic using a multi-disciplinary framework to theoretical and applied experiences for undergraduates.
Applicants must read the Selection Criteria carefully and address each of the points stated. Incomplete applications will not be evaluated.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Manage communication and administrative needs of modules including shared emails, quiz-setting, risk assessment, and moderating the module Canvas page.
- Fulfil relevant formal and informal pedagogic training
- Oversee scheduling of workshops, laboratory practical sessions, and field trips
- Contribute to, manage and mark continual assessments (CAs)
- Initiate improvements to management and pedagogy with advice and support from module coordinators
- Conduct workshops and lab practical sessions, and facilitate field trips.
- A Bachelor (Honours) Degree in Science or in a relevant field.
- Experience in conducting lab-based practicals or field work is desirable and/or experience in science education and communication.
- Demonstrated understanding of College of Humanities and Sciences curriculum and goals.
- Strong interpersonal skills to provide high quality student-focused services, and a strong interest in student welfare.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently, prioritizing workload and meeting deadlines with minimal supervision.
- An ability to convey information in a clear, concise and interesting manner (support is provided).
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively as a member of a team and manage groups at the undergraduate level.
- Familiarity with administrative processes, with a high attention to accuracy and detail.
- Highly competent with the Microsoft Office or Google Drive.
- Experience with any/all of Mathcad, Mathematica, Python or R may be an advantage.
Interested applicants are invited to apply directly at NUS Career Portal.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Department : Biological Sciences
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 17650