Research Fellow in Supercapacitors
- UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE
- Melbourne, Australia
- $77,171 - $104,717 p.a. plus 17% super
- 27 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 28 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Chemical Engineering
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Research Fellowships
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Role type: Full time; Fixed-term for 18 months
Faculty: Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology
Department/School: School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering
Salary: Level A – $77,171 - $104,717 p.a. plus 17% super
The University of Melbourne would like to acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campuses are situated, the Wurundjeri and Boon Wurrung Peoples, the Yorta Yorta Nation, the Dja Dja Wurrung People. We acknowledge that the land on which we meet and learn was the place of age-old ceremonies, of celebration, initiation and renewal, and that the local Aboriginal Peoples have had and continue to have a unique role in the life of these lands.
About - Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology
The Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT) has been the leading Australian provider of engineering and IT education and research for over 150 years. We are a multidisciplinary School organised into three key areas; Computing and Information Systems (CIS), Chemical and Biomedical Engineering (CBE) and Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure Engineering (EMI). FEIT continues to attract top staff and students with a global reputation and has a commitment to knowledge for the betterment of society.
FEIT has never been better positioned as a global leader, anchored in the dynamic Asia Pacific region, creating and curating knowledge to address some of the world’s biggest challenges. Through our students and our relationships with communities, we can not only respond to society’s needs but anticipate and create engineering and IT solutions for the future.
About - School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering
The School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering encompasses both the Department of Chemical Engineering and the Department of Biomedical Engineering. This fusion of engineering disciplines provides a dynamic and interdisciplinary environment that is world leading in both research and teaching.
About the Role
Funded by the Australian Research Council (ARC) through the ARC Training Centre in Future Energy Storage Technologies (IC180100049), this project aims to develop next-generation high voltage and high energy density supercapacitors in collaboration with industry partners and other research institutions.
The Research Fellow will conduct independent research, leading to the preparation and publication of research outcomes in conferences and journals and patent applications. The position sits within the Department of Chemical Engineering in the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology and will be expected to be an active member of the Department, collaborating with other researchers and being responsible for undertaking research supervision directly related to the area of research or a small amount of teaching, as required. In addition, the candidate will also have the opportunity to work in an industry environment to commercialize the technology developed through this project, with future career opportunities in the industry.
- Performing experiment design, and data analysis, and being responsible for qualitative and statistical analysis of research data and to communicate this information to the Chief Investigator and collaborators.
- Actively participating in some outreach activities relating to research and scholarship, particularly related to ARC Training Centre in Future Energy Storage Technologies.
- Actively participating in the communication and dissemination of research.
- Contributing to teaching, training, scientific mentoring and supervision of postgraduate students if required.
To be successful in this role you will have the ability to perform independent research and a commitment to interdisciplinary research. You will show a record of quality and innovative research as evidenced by publications in leading journals or books or patent. You will demonstrate experience in using initiative, working with minimal supervision and ability to prioritise tasks to achieve project objectives within timelines applications.
You will also have:
- PhD (or near completion) in Materials or Chemical Engineering, or closely related discipline.
- Experience in material synthesis, processing and nano-engineering technology for lithium-ion batteries or supercapacitors and excellent understanding in electrochemistry.
- Experience in fabrication, characterisation and testing of electrochemical energy storage devices.
- Familiar with OHS management of wet chemistry labs.
To ensure the University continues to provide a safe environment for everyone, this position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check.
Please note: To be considered for this role you must have current valid work rights for Australia.
About the University
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements, generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
We value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and encourage and celebrate diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse people are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria^ (found in the Position Description) for the role.
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com.
Position description: PD_0058818_RF-supercapacitor-2023.pdf
Applications close: 28 March 2023 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time