Chair, La Trobe Institutional Biosafety Committee
- LA TROBE UNIVERSITY
- Melbourne, Australia
- 27 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 19 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Life sciences, Biological Sciences
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Professors / Chairs
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Part Time
- Part time (0.2 FTE), Fixed term position for 3 years
- Based at Bundoora campus
- LEVEL D/E – Principal Research Fellow
The Chair supports continuous education of researchers and the members of the committee on relevant matters and is responsible for building and maintaining positive relationships with users of the committee.
About the position
- Ensure the LTIBC and LTIBC Executive operates in accordance with the principles and requirements of the Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research, all relevant laws, government guidelines and University policies and the agreed LTIBC procedures
- Provide leadership, impartial guidance, and direction to the conduct of the business of the LTIBC
- Chair scheduled LTIBC meetings (including LTIBC Executive meetings), or if unavailable providing comments in writing for the Deputy Chair on the acceptability of applications and other submissions before meetings
- Ensure that applications and other submissions to the LTIBC are reviewed appropriately and are compliant with approved standards
- Ensure that review of risks and issues associated with hazardous or regulated biological agents and materials, and the use of equipment occurs, and advice is provided to the DVCRIE and institutional management as required
Skills and Experience
To be considered for this position, you will have;
- Suitable experience and expertise to competently assess and provide expert advice on the identification and management of the risks associated with dealings with GMOs, classification of the dealings and containment of GMOs, as well as work involving other biohazardous agents or materials. The Chair’s other responsibilities/affiliations must not impair the LTIBC’s capacity to carry out its obligations under Gene Technology Act 2000 and Gene Technology Regulations 2001. (Membership categories of the LTIBC are prescribed by the OGTR Guidelines for Accreditation of Organisations).
- Completion of a PhD or equivalent accreditation and standing together with subsequent research experience
- Biosafety committee experience, and/or senior academic experience will be highly regarded
- Proven ability to build sustainable relationships with a range of stakeholders
- Evidence of the ability to promote and implement safe research practices
- High level analytical capability with an ability to communicate complex information clearly
Please refer to the Position Description for other duties, skills and experience required for this position.
About La Trobe
La Trobe University’s success is driven by people who are committed to making a difference. They are creative and highly motivated, pursue new ideas and create knowledge. La Trobe is one of Australia’s research leaders, and the largest provider of higher education to regional Victoria. Our teaching and research address some of the most significant issues of our time and we’re passionate about driving change through operational excellence to benefit the communities we serve.
Please click on this link for a full list of Benefits http://www.latrobe.edu.au/jobs/working/benefits
How to apply
Closing date: 11 pm Sunday 19th March 2023
Position Enquiries: Susan Dodds, email@example.com
Recruitment Enquiries: Recruitment@latrobe.edu.au
Only candidates with Full Working Rights in Australia may apply for this position.
Please submit an online application ONLY and include the following documents:
- Cover letter;
- An up to date resume; and
- A separate document addressing each essential and desirable bullet point in the Key Selection Criteria which is located in the position description
Please scroll down to apply.
Why La Trobe:
- Develop your career at an innovative, global university where you’ll collaborate with community and industry to create impact.
- Enjoy working on our inspiring and stunning campuses – the perfect hub for industry, students and academics
- Help transform the lives of students, partners and communities now and in future
All La Trobe University employees are bound by the Working with Children Act 2005. If you are successful, you will be required to hold a valid Victorian Employee Working with Children Check prior to commencement.