Mykola Zerov Fellow in Ukrainian Studies
- UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE
- Melbourne, Australia
- $110,236 - $130,900 p.a. plus 17% super
- 27 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 27 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Arts & Humanities, History, Philosophy & Theology, Social Sciences, Politics & International Studies
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Research Fellowships
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Role type: Full-time; Fixed-term for 3 years
Faculty: Faculty of Arts
Department/School: School of Historical and Philosophical Studies
Salary: Level B – $110,236 - $130,900 p.a. plus 17% super
The University of Melbourne would like to acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campuses are situated, the Wurundjeri and Boon Wurrung Peoples, the Yorta Yorta Nation, the Dja Dja Wurrung People. We acknowledge that the land on which we meet and learn was the place of age-old ceremonies, of celebration, initiation and renewal, and that the local Aboriginal Peoples have had and continue to have a unique role in the life of these lands.
About the Faculty of Arts
The Faculty of Arts is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion and strongly encourages people with diverse experiences to apply. This includes First Nations people, culturally and linguistically diverse people, Deaf and hard of hearing people, people with a disability, LGBTIQ+, and neurodiverse people. If you have any accessibility requirements for the application or interview, please contact us. We are dedicated to ensuring barrier-free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. A position description is available in alternate formats if required, including USB, Large Print, and Plain English.
The Faculty actively seeks to welcome and value the unique contributions of people from all backgrounds and is committed to diversity and inclusion practices to achieve our vision.
About the Role
As the Mykola Zerov Fellow, you will conduct research relevant to Ukrainian Studies within the School of Historical and Philosophical Studies (SHAPS). In addition, you will produce publications appropriate to your academic discipline on the basis of that research.
This is primarily a research role, however, 10% of your workload will be devoted to teaching that contributes to undergraduate programs and 15% will be devoted to activities that expand knowledge about Ukraine to a broader audience, including specific members of the community in Victoria and Australia-wide. This may include specific projects, such as collaborative research on community-held archival material; public and community lectures and seminars or engagement programs; communications or social media engagements; and a range of other outreach activities that further objectives agreed upon by the Head of School.
- Supporting bringing Ukrainian Studies to the mainstream in Australia and New Zealand
- Addressing the relative dearth of scholarship about Eastern Europe in Australia and expanding the knowledge about Ukrainians in Australia and New Zealand
- Contributing to the teaching of established subjects within the Faculty of Arts as needed (10% of FTE)
- Actively participating in research seminars, and national and international conferences
You will be an experienced researcher with excellent written and oral communication skills as well as presentation skills in both English and Ukrainian. You will be able to work effectively in research teams and have desirable success in obtaining external grants for research.
You will also have:
- A PhD in Ukrainian Studies in the discipline of history, the social or political sciences, or in an adjacent disciplinary or interdisciplinary field. A “Candidate of Sciences” degree may be regarded as the equivalent of a PhD for purposes of this application.
- The ability to undertake outstanding research, demonstrated by a record of peer-reviewed scholarly publications, preferably including publications in English.
- Willingness to engage with the AUV and the Ukrainian community of Australia and its region.
To ensure the University continues to provide a safe environment for everyone, this position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check.
About the University
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements, generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
We value the unique backgrounds, experiences, and contributions that each person brings to our community and encourage and celebrate diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse people are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria^ (found in the Position Description) for the role.
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier-free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments to the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com.
Applications close: 27 Mar 2023 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Position Description: 0058862_Ukrainian Studies Fellow_PD.pdf