6 days left
- KHALIFA UNIVERSITY
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 27 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 29 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science, Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics, Physics & Astronomy
- Job Type
- Research Related, Other Research Related
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
About Khalifa University
Khalifa University is ranked 181st in the QS World University Rankings 2023, and the top University in the UAE, with a range of research and academic programs designed to address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challenges facing our rapidly evolving world.
Its world-class faculty and state-of-the-art research facilities provide an unparalleled learning experience to students from the UAE and around the world. Our research and academic activities cover a broad range of disciplines in engineering, science and medicine through our three colleges.
Khalifa University’s research relates to key focus sectors of relevance to the UAE’s strategic economic growth and the technology platforms that serve as foundations for these sectors. The University’s research priorities are addressed in two categories — “verticals” and “horizontals” — which jointly cover specific industry and sector needs, technical platforms and expertise.
KU’s focus sectors are Clean and Renewable Energy, Hydrocarbon Exploration and Production, Water and Environment, Healthcare, Aerospace, and Supply Chain and Logistics. Research in these sectors is enhanced by our research platforms of Robotics, AI and Data Science, Information and Communication Technologies, and Advanced Materials and Manufacturing as well as Fundamental Sciences.
KU is seeking an experienced & highly motivated Research Scientist to work on a funded project to investigate inverse modeling of a radioactive release problem affecting the region, particularly the UAE.
The successful Research Scientist will join a collaborative project to develop and implement an operational forecasting system based on inverse modeling (and Data Assimilation) techniques for early emergency response management in the UAE. The project will focus on assessing emissions and providing medium-range dispersion forecasts to support real-time monitoring of atmospheric radionuclides at local, national, and regional scales.
As part of the project, the researcher will have access to state-of-the-art research equipment and facilities at the Emirates Nuclear Technology Center (https://www.ku.ac.ae/entc) and will get an opportunity to work alongside researchers and graduate students from various backgrounds as part of a wider team.
This is a 2-year project (with possible extension), and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work with leading research institutions in the UAE and contribute to the advancement of the nuclear-energy industry through the application of inverse modeling techniques.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit your CV and a cover letter to Dr. Mohamed K. Riahi at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
Ku offers a generous salary, which will be commensurate with experience.
- Study and develop inverse modeling techniques for assessing radioactive releases during an accidental radiological situation
- Implement these techniques in a software system designed to assess emissions and provide medium-range dispersion forecasts
- Collaborate with experts in environmental radiation measurements and state-of-the-art numerical tools for weather prediction and atmospheric dispersion
- Contribute to the development of local capacities and skills in the area of inverse modeling for emergency response management
- Write technical reports and publish research in peer-reviewed journals
- Ph.D. from a reputable university in Data Assimilation, or Computational Mathematics/physics, Mathematical Modeling or a related discipline
- At least four (4) years of post-doctoral research experience
- Expert-level knowledge project subject area as evidenced by relevant publications and or patents
- Strong programming skills in at least one programming language such as Python, C/C++, or Fortran
- Experience in the field of atmospheric radioactive release assessment and emergency response management is a plus
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- The proven ability to lead work on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines.
- Ability to train and mentor students and support fellow researchers
- Highly developed reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Ph.D. from and/or experience working in a top 200 QS or THE ranked University
- High impact first-author publications in top 10% journals in the relevant field
- Experience leading competitive research grants as principal investigator or named co-investigator in the project team
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (email@example.com)
Primary Location: Khalifa University - Abu Dhabi, UAE
Job: Research Scientist
Job Type: Full-time