Associate Lecturer, Creative Writing and Literature
2 days left
- DEAKIN UNIVERSITY
- Geelong / Melbourne, Australia
- $74,024 - $99,512 + 17% Superannuation
- 26 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 28 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Arts & Humanities, Languages, Literature & Linguistics
- Contract Type
- Full Time
- Flexible location (Geelong Waurn Ponds or Melbourne Burwood Campus)
- Full-time (36.75 hours per week) and Continuing
- Level A $74,024 - $99,512 + 17% Superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and the online Cloud Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university, with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities.
The School of Communication and Creative Arts (SCCA) is home to world-leading academics across many domains, with a strong ethic of critical and creative inquiry, balanced by a deep appreciation of the power of practice and professional application.
The Associate Lecturer is actively involved in teaching and makes a significant contribution to innovative teaching and carries out activities to maintain and develop their professional activities relevant to the profession or discipline. The role is involved in the academic and professional service and engagement, industry partnerships and professional activities.
Your key responsibilities will include:
Education and Employability
- Maintain appropriate discipline knowledge in one or more of the following areas: Publishing/Editing/Professional Writing/Creative Writing
- Develop effective learning materials and activities as part of design team or with guidance from Unit Chair
- Demonstrate awareness of ongoing innovation in curriculum design
- Deliver effective teaching practices within unit
- Integrate industry, clinical and/or research practice to teaching
- Work collaboratively as part of a teaching team
- Constructively reviews and refines own teaching practice to help maintain teaching quality standards
- Suggest approaches to innovate teaching practices to improve student success and engagement
- Provide clear assessment criteria and timely feedback to learners to demonstrate learning outcomes
- Assist in developing effective assessment tasks and rubrics at unit level
- Constructively contribute to moderation processes
- Assist in applying industry, clinical and/or research practice into student learning experiences and resources
- Adapt learning material and practices to support diverse learners
- Facilitate collaborative learning opportunities at the unit level
- Demonstrate awareness of student support and services and guides students to them where appropriate
- Conduct self-evaluation practices and maintains effective mentor relationships
- Demonstrate understanding of and commitment to educational excellence
- Complete professional development programs in Higher Education Learning and Teaching
- Support and assist with teaching scholarship and pedagogical research activity
Research and Innovation
- Conduct high-quality research, scholarship and creative activities generating high impact outputs, with mentorship
- Engage collaboratively to participate in novel and high-quality research or creative activities
- Communicate outputs, including as part of team
- Ensure impact of academic activity on the field and the community
- Support and may lead applications for funding for research and creative activities
- Begin building body of work and reputation and recognition for quality, excellence and impact
- Participate in intra- and inter-disciplinary research collaborations
- Build awareness of industry partners and participates in opportunities for research partnerships
- Support and may lead in applications for external competitive and other funding
- Begin to build track record of timely delivery of outcomes for industry partners
- Co-supervise honours to timely outcomes with productive high-quality outcomes
- Develop working relationship with mentors and supervisors
- Develop early career research plan with guidance from mentors and supervisors
- Adopt culture of research excellence, innovation and impact
- Build awareness of relevant industry partners and opportunities for HDRs/ECRs placements
University Citizenship and Engagement
- Contribute to Deakin community and its effectiveness via local engagement and citizenship activities
- Understand the objectives and outcomes to be delivered by the University’s strategic agenda
- Contribute to community beyond Deakin via engagement activities
- Support Deakin community engagement plan
Key selection criteria:
- Degree in a relevant discipline and/or other relevant qualifications and experience
- Emerging research and scholarship through publications, and/or exhibitions as appropriate to the discipline
- Ability to contribute to communities through research
- Capacity to contribute to teaching, research and administration
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues
- Excellent record of scholarly learning and teaching in UG and/or PG programs, including innovative curriculum design
- Emerging research and scholarship through publications, and/or exhibitions, as appropriate to the discipline
- Ability to contribute to community engagement for research and teaching
- Capacity to contribute to the delivery of academic programs in publishing, editing, and/or professional and creative writing
Applications for this position close on 28 March 2023
Successful applicants will need to comply with vaccination mandates imposed by the relevant state/territory government. Applicants who attend third-party sites to undertake University activities will also be required to comply with any other directions or requirements in place at the third-party location.
- Infrequent travel will be required
- Drivers Licence
- Working with Children Check (refer to Recruitment Procedure)
Please submit your resume, a short cover letter and responses to the Key Selection Criteria.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Paul Venzo (Head of Writing, Literature and Culture) at email@example.com.
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
We understand that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse, and we recognise academic careers may be placed on hold throughout many life circumstances. Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality, as opposed to the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.