Senior Lecturer in Law
- UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST OF SCOTLAND
- PA1 2BE - Paisley Campus
- AC4: £54,420 to £63,059 per annum
- 22 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 19 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Social Sciences, Law
- Contract Type
- Full Time
THE POST – Senior Lecturer in Law
UWS School of Business and Creative Industries are continuing to make a significant investment in academic posts to support both our students and our strategic development, helping to further position the School as a key player locally, nationally and internationally.
We are seeking applications from individuals wishing to join the School’s Division of Accounting, Finance and Law as a Senior Lecturer in Law. You will join a dedicated team who strive to continuously inspire our students and wider University community – and, through modern teaching and impactful research, continue to deliver innovative solutions to some of the world’s biggest challenges.
This post will give individuals the opportunity to further develop their academic career. You will have the opportunity to carry out teaching, research and knowledge exchange and external engagement activities. You will be part of a dedicated team who offer support and guidance to their students. You will help build the reputation and profile of our Law programmes and of the School, as a leading contributor to the economic and social development of the communities in which we work as well as engage in exciting international opportunities. As part of the development of the Law subject area UWS is working towards the approval of a qualifying law degree and has plans to introduce several new LLMs over the next three years; the successful candidate will contribute to these areas of development.
We are keen to appoint an individual who is passionate about their subject and who can contribute to the on-going expansion of the Law subject area as well as to the research profile and commercialisation activities of the group.
The successful candidate should have the following:
- An Honours Degree in Law, a Postgraduate qualification in Law e.g. LLM, Diploma in Professional Legal Practice A PhD (or be close to completion)
- Be a qualified solicitor looking to make the move into an academic career
- Experience of teaching or practicing in any area of Law but in particular we seek applications from those willing to teach core modules within undergraduate Law programmes and from those specialising in the area of Human Rights and Access to Justice Be able to lead, write and coordinate modules, develop research projects and lead learning and knowledge exchange projects in partnership with external stakeholders
- Be able to teach across areas covered by Scots Law programmes.
- Ideally you should also have experience of hybrid delivery of learning and teaching, and experience of use of authentic/real-world assessment approaches
- Experience of people management and/or experience of delivering projects
You will be joining us at a very exciting time in our development and would become part of a dedicated team who offer exceptional support and guidance to students. You will have opportunities to help build the reputation and profile of our School as a leading contributor to the economic and social development of the communities in which we work.
UWS was named Higher Educational Institution of the Year in The Herald Higher Education Awards 2022 and is officially ranked by Times Higher Education in the top 600 universities worldwide (2022 World University Rankings) as well as in the top 150 universities worldwide under 50 years old (2022 Young University Rankings). University of the West of Scotland is one of Scotland’s largest and most dynamic modern universities. Our reach across the country, together with our London campus, means that UWS is a significant force in global knowledge creation, innovation, and a leading provider of undergraduate, postgraduate and research degree education. Our degrees provide students with a transformational experience; equipping them with highly sought-after graduate skills that set them up for global success in world-leading sectors, industries and businesses. With cutting-edge courses, modern pedagogy and practical knowledge, we enable our students and staff to experience the joy of learning, teaching, research and innovation, and apply their knowledge for the benefit of others.
The School of Business & Creative Industries at UWS is a vibrant community, delivering innovative learning and teaching alongside a rapidly developing research and enterprise profile. You will join a supportive and motivating team, where you will be part of a multicultural, multidisciplinary community of scholars and students from around the world. Students benefit from our strong links with industry, and the world-class research that underpins our courses, delivered on each of our five campuses and through many partners across the globe.
We offer our staff a caring and supportive environment, across five campuses, and a competitive benefits package which includes:
- 35 days of annual leave, plus a further 12 days for public/university holidays
- 23% employer’s pension contribution, including death in service benefits on joining the pension scheme
- A flexible approach to working pattern and work-life balance
- Employee discount scheme across 3,500 retailers
- Fitness facilities across our campuses
- Access to a range of health and wellbeing resources, including occupational health, physiotherapy and access to our Employee Assistance Programme
- Professional, career and research development opportunities.
Interview Date: 31 March 2023
The University reserves the right to shorten/extend the closing date of any position where a high/low volume of suitable applications are received. Therefore, if you are interested in this role, an early application would be encouraged.
UWS is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from underrepresented groups.
UWS is a “Disability Confident” employer.
University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity, no. SC002520.