Junior Research Group Leader in Cancer Genetics
- MASARYK UNIVERSITY
- Brno, Czech Republic
- 22 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 31 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health, Medicine & Dentistry, Life sciences, Biological Sciences
- Job Type
- Research Related, Other Research Related
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term, Permanent
- Full Time
Department: Institute of Medical Genetics and Genomics – Faculty of Medicine
Deadline: 31 Mar 2023
Start date: 1st July 2023 or by agreement
Job type: full-time
Job field: Science and research
Faculty of Medicine, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic invites excellent scientists to apply for
Junior Research Group Leader in Cancer Genetics
Department of Medical Genetics and Genomics is a joint department of the Faculty of Medicine in Masaryk university and the University Hospital Brno, Czech Republic. The academics are responsible for research, teaching of medical students (both molecular and clinical genetics), and genetic counseling (M.D.s with specialization in genetics only). The laboratory research is focused mainly on the genetic background of hematological and oncological diseases, mostly analyzing the role of both germinal and somatic genomic defects (see PubMed publications of S. Pospisilova or M. Doubek). But also other relevant topics are welcome to be established by novel research group.
In the Masaryk university biomedical campus, the well-equipped core facilities are available for researchers, including CEITEC Core facilities genomics, proteomics, bioinformatics, cellular imaging, NMR, cryo-electron microscopy and others (see https://www.ceitec.eu/core-facilities/). Our team has also access to the research infrastructures, such as national center of medical genomics (NCMG), EATRIS, ELIXIR, CZECRIN, 1+Million of European Genomes, Genomic Data Infrastructure. The close collaboration with clinical departments of the neighboring University Hospital Brno is very beneficial for the research collaboration and enables access to the clinical material (based on the informed consent of the patient and Ethical committee approval). The doctoral students of the PhD program of Hematology and Oncology or Biomedical Sciences could be involved to the team.
We are looking for the highly motivated researcher with enthusiasm and collaborative spirit (biomedical / clinical) specialized on the genetics of inherited disorders, preferably those affecting the susceptibility to hematological of solid malignancies. The research will be supported by the National Institute for Cancer Research.
The successful candidate should:
- be a researcher who has received a PhD or its equivalent within the last 8 years (or up to 40 years old, taking int account possible career interruptions), might be negotiated;
- have a significant publication activity in the given field, corresponding to the junior stage of the career (at least one first-author publication with an IF above the field median);
- have a significant international scientific experience longer than 6 months;
- have an own attractive scientific project with a potential to succeed in international competition.
- M.D. degree and specialization in clinical genetics is an advantage, part-time involvement in genetic counseling is possible and welcome
MU offers the opportunity to get:
- an opportunity to start a career as leader and in an own research team,
- diverse and challenging work in an excellent research environment,
- initial contract for 2,5 years (untill December 2025);
- a professional team and pleasant working conditions;
- interaction with leading scientists in an inspiring, international environment;
- Welcome office service for the successful candidate and his/her family.
Workplace: University Campus Bohunice, Kamenice 5, 625 00, Brno, Czech Republic
Contract type: contract for 2,5 years; with possible prolongation or transformation to the permanent contract
Anticipated start date: July 2023, or upon agreement
Submission deadline: 31st March 2023
Please submit e-application below.
The application should include:
- a CV including a list of publication activity;
- a cover letter describing the applicant's interest in research in our field of study (max. 1 A4 page);
- a diploma (recognition for diplomas from foreign institutions);
- application form incl. research group topic and intention, please download it HERE.
A review of applications will start immediately after the deadline. Short-listed candidates will be invited for interview within one month of the deadline.
Further information about:
- Faculty of Medicine is available at: https://www.med.muni.cz/en
- Masaryk University is available at: https://www.muni.cz/en
- Brno is available at: https://www.gotobrno.cz/en/