Post Doctoral Fellow
- KHALIFA UNIVERSITY
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 22 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 24 Mar 2023
- Job Type
- Research Related, Other Research Related
- Contract Type
- Full Time
About Khalifa University
Khalifa University is ranked 181st in the QS World University Rankings 2023, and the top University in the UAE, with a range of research and academic programs designed to address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challenges facing our rapidly evolving world.
Its world-class faculty and state-of-the-art research facilities provide an unparalleled learning experience to students from the UAE and around the world. Our research and academic activities cover a broad range of disciplines in engineering, science and medicine through our three colleges.
Khalifa University’s research relates to key focus sectors of relevance to the UAE’s strategic economic growth and the technology platforms that serve as foundations for these sectors. The University’s research priorities are addressed in two categories “verticals” and “horizontals” which jointly cover specific industry and sector needs, technical platforms and expertise.
KU’s focus sectors are Clean and Renewable Energy, Hydrocarbon Exploration and Production, Water and Environment, Healthcare, Aerospace, and Supply Chain and Logistics. Research in these sectors is enhanced by our research platforms of Robotics, AI and Data Science, Information and Communication Technologies, and Advanced Materials and Manufacturing as well as Fundamental Sciences.
KU is seeking a highly motivated candidate to take up the role of Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Discipline of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Surveying within the School of Engineering at Khalifa University. The Discipline is highly research active, contributing substantially to the overall research inputs and outputs of the School of Engineering.
This position will provide the opportunity to work in satellite altimetry, with particular application to the marine gravity field and bathymetry, alongside Assistant Professor Dr Maryam R. Al Shehhi. The project is funded by Khalifa University
The work will develop computationally efficient techniques for constructing bathymetric models and estimating their uncertainties by using data from multi-satellite altimeter missions.
The successful candidate will work within a collaborative environment as part of an international and interdisciplinary research team.
- Strong interest in the field of satellite remote sensing of the maritime.
- Very good knowledge and relevant experience in at least one of the following fields: Satellite remote sensing, radiative transfer, inversion theory, ocean color, numerical modelling of complex systems
- Very good programming skills in at least one high-level programming language (ideally Python) and good Linux skills (including shell scripting)
- Strong background in handling data and image processing
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager
- PhD degree or equivalent in a suitable field, e.g., computer science, data science, marine sciences, physical sciences, mathematics, engineering, ecology (also applicants near the completion of the degree will be considered)
- Proven track-record on writing scientific publications
- Experience writing scientific or review papers;
- A willingness to contribute to a collaborative and supportive team culture
- Excellent English language communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- The proven ability to work on multiple tasks with competing demands and deadlines.
- Ability to train and mentor students and support fellow researchers
- Highly developed reasoning and problem-solving skills
- PhD gained from a top 200 QS or THE ranked University
- At least 1 or 2 years of relevant experience as a Post-doctoral researcher in academia or in industry.
- High impact first-author publications in top 10% journals in the relevant field
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Primary Location: Khalifa University - Abu Dhabi, UAE
Job: Post Doctoral Fellow
Job Type: Full-time