Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor, School of Architecture
- UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY SYDNEY (UTS)
- Sydney, Australia
- $136,526 to $180,395 pa
- 20 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 20 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Arts & Humanities, Architecture
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors, Lecturers / Assistant Professors
- Contract Type
- Full Time
UTS School of Architecture is one of the oldest, most storied programs in Australia, with an international reputation for innovative teaching and research.
The School is led by Professor Deborah Ascher Barnstone, Professor of Architecture, internationally-known scholar and award-winning architect.
About the role
The school is currently recruiting for a Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor, Architecture. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual who has a strong research track record and a design practice background.
In order to support one of our research strengths, sustainability (which is also aligned with our organisational strategy, UTS 2027), we are particularly interested in applications from those with a background in sustainable technology, advanced technology and in sustainable architectural design. Other role requirements include:
- Responsibility for the development, delivery and co-ordination of high-quality teaching in subjects at undergraduate and post graduate level;
- Representing the discipline to the wider community by fostering, promoting and developing links with industry, government and professional bodies;
- Engaging in research and publications at a rate appropriate to the level of employment;
- Obtaining competitive research grants and participating in team-based research programs.
- PhD (or equivalent) in Sustainable Architecture and Construction, Construction Technology, Sustainable Technology, or equivalent fields;
- Ability to develop and teach high quality curricula at under-graduate and post-graduate level
- Demonstrated academic research skills;
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and collegiate environment, and to develop links both within the University and with outside stakeholders.
Knowledge in the following areas is also required:
- Expertise in the theory and practice of architectural design with specific knowledge in one of the following is also required:
- sustainable construction, sustainable building technologies, and/or advanced technologies;
- Practical and theoretical understanding of the ethics of architectural design in emerging social, technological, political, and economic settings;
- Understanding of digital and analogue image-making strategies including 3-D printing, robotics, CNC, and other advanced technologies;
- Understanding of design-led and traditional research methodologies; and
- Architectural design in an interdisciplinary and collaborative context.
For the full list of selection criteria and role responsibilities, please download the Position Statement found in the document section below.
Base Salary Range: $136,526 to $156,789 pa (Level C) - Senior Lecturer
Base Salary Range: $164,560 to $180,395 pa (Level D) - Associate Professor
The roles attract 17% superannuation (pension) in addition to the base salary.
The position is full time and will be made on a continuing basis.
UTS staff also benefit from a wide range of Employee Benefits include flexible work practices, childcare centres and generous parental leave.
How to Apply
In addition to your resume and cover letter, you are required to address the selection criteria in a separate document. The selection criteria can be found on page 2 of the position statement.
For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Answering Selection Criteria
UTS is committed to diversity and inclusion in our workforce and we encourage applicants where relevant to include a relative to opportunity or career disruption/break statement within their CV.
Only those applications submitted via the UTS online recruitment system will be accepted. If you are a current UTS staff member, for help on how to apply through NEO.
As you will be unable to save your application once started, please have all required documents and information available prior to commencing.
Please ensure that the file name for each document submitted includes IRC234941 and your name.
Please be advised that as part of the selection process that you may be requested to deliver a presentation, the audience for which may include individuals not on the Selection Panel.
To discuss the role please contact Professor Deborah Ascher Barnstone via DeborahAscher.Barnstone@uts.edu.au
Specific enquiries or issues with your application may be directed to Anabel Wason in the UTS Recruitment Team at email@example.com.
Closing Date: Monday 20th March 2022 at 11:59 pm (AEST)
International candidates will be considered.
At UTS the concepts of equity and social justice are key to our core and purpose. We are recognised widely as supporting inclusivity and valuing diversity. Cited as a WGEA Employer of Choice since the inception of the award, we are among the first Australian institutions to receive the Athena SWAN Bronze Accreditation for our commitment to action addressing gender equity in the STEMM disciplines. UTS Equal Futures celebrates and supports women in academia through every stage of their career.
As part of Athena SWAN, UTS has set an overarching target of 40 per cent academic women by 2022. The School of Architecture is committed to UTS’s target and supporting the career development of women academics.
Our vision is to be a leading public university of technology recognised for our global impact. We are a dynamic and innovative university, ranked by the Times Higher Education as Australia’s top young university, and located centrally in one of the world’s most liveable cities. With a culturally diverse campus life and extensive international exchange and research programs, UTS prepares graduates for the workplaces of today and tomorrow.
UTS Recruitment care about digital accessibility. If there is any content in our advertising that you have struggled with, please make us aware so that we can make our information accessible to all.
In addition, if you have a disability that requires adjustment to the recruitment process or an alternative application pathway please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
UTS is recognised widely as supporting inclusivity and diversity through our Wingara Indigenous Employment Strategy, Social Impact Framework and UTS Access and Inclusion Plan. Cited as a WGEA Employer of Choice since the inception of the award, we were among the first Australian institutions to receive the Athena SWAN Bronze Accreditation for our commitment to action addressing gender equity in the STEMM disciplines.
We welcome applications from women, Indigenous Australians, people with disability, those who identify as LGBTIQ and applicants from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.