Post-Doctoral Associate in the Division of Engineering, Machine Learning and Healthcare
- NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 20 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 22 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science, Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Postdocs
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
We are seeking a Post-Doctoral Associate to work on a multidisciplinary project funded by the Research Enhancement Fund at NYU Abu Dhabi and will be supervised by Prof. Farah Shamout and Prof. Farokh Atashzar, titled “EyeScore: Leveraging cross-modal associations between clinical data and optical imaging for stroke recurrence risk prediction”. The researcher is expected to have (i) a strong background in machine learning, and (ii) motivation to pursue multidisciplinary research at the intersection of machine learning and healthcare.
The researcher will be primarily based at NYU Abu Dhabi. The researcher will report directly to PI Shamout and work in close collaboration with other researchers at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi and NYU Tandon School of Engineering.
- Conduct high-quality and innovative research primarily focused on multi-modal learning;
- Generate new high-impact ideas based on gaps and limitations of the state-of-the-art (SOTA);
- Design and implement experiments to compare proposed work with SOTA baselines;
- Publish research findings in high-impact journals and conferences;
- Communicate and present research findings at international academic gatherings;
- Create, maintain, and document high-quality research code for reproducibility;
Training & professional development*
- Attend trainings and workshops for career development;
- Mentor PhD students and undergraduate research assistants (as appropriate);
- Gain experience in applying for local research grants (subject to eligibility);
- And transition to independence to pursue a career of choosing following the appointment.
* The researcher will create a personalized training and development plan with the supervisors.
The appointment will be for two years. The terms of employment are competitive and will include housing and travel subsidies. Applications will be accepted immediately and candidates will be considered until the position is filled. To be considered, all applicants must submit a cover letter, up-to-date CV, list of publications, research statement summarizing past, current, and future research plans (1-page), and at least three letters of recommendation, all in PDF format. If you have any questions that are not answered in the job advert, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
NYU Abu Dhabi is a degree-granting research university with a fully integrated liberal arts and science undergraduate program in the Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering. NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU New York, and NYU Shanghai, form the backbone of NYU’s global network university, an interconnected network of portal campuses and academic centers across six continents that enable seamless international mobility of students and faculty in their pursuit of academic and scholarly activity. This global university represents a transformative shift in higher education, one in which the intellectual and creative endeavors of academia are shaped and examined through an international and multicultural perspective. As a major intellectual hub at the crossroads of the Arab world, NYUAD serves as a center for scholarly thought, advanced research, knowledge creation, and sharing, through its academic, research, and creative activities.
EOE/AA/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity Employer
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply
- Currently has or is in the process of completing a PhD, DPhil or equivalent terminal degree from a recognized institution.
- Doctoral research in the area of machine learning.
- Bachelor’s/ Master’s degree in computer science, mathematics, computer engineering, or relevant technical field
- First-author peer-reviewed published papers (or under review)
- 3+ years of demonstrable research experience involving data pre-processing and preparation for machine learning models
- 3+ years of demonstrable research experience in conducting experiments for training and evaluating deep neural networks
- Proficient programming experience in Python and libraries (e.g., Pytorch, TensorFlow) with several years of practice
- Experience in maintaining high-quality code on Github
- Experience in running and managing experiments using GPUs
- Ability to visualize experimental results and learning curves
- Effective inter-personal and team-building skills
- Self-motivated with an ability to work independently and in a team to get the work done
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written communication)
- Willingness to learn and confront new challenges
- Doctoral research conducted in the area of machine learning and healthcare
- Deep knowledge of multi-modal learning
- Experience in dealing with medical datasets
- Ability to use high performance computing cluster
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
For people in the EU, click here for information on your privacy rights under GDPR: www.nyu.edu/it/gdpr
NYU is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity, and social inclusion.