2023 Art History Assistant / Associate Professor / Lecturer Positions
- WENZHOU - KEAN UNIVERSITY
- Wenzhou, China
- 17 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 18 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Arts & Humanities, Art, Performing Arts & Design, History, Philosophy & Theology
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors, Lecturers / Assistant Professors
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
About Wenzhou-Kean University
Wenzhou-Kean University (WKU), located in Wenzhou, China, one of three Sino-American universities along with NYU Shanghai and Duke Kunshan University, is approved by the Ministry of Education of China. Launched in 2012, WKU offers a unique model of higher education in partnership with Kean University, a comprehensive, public university in the state of New Jersey that is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. WKU sits on approximately 500 beautiful acres and currently enrolls about 4,200 students, and it is now in the midst of a rapid growth that will bring enrollment to 7,000 students within the next five years. All instruction is in English and all curriculum is provided by Kean University. In addition to its current 18 undergraduate programs, WKU has been approved by the Ministry of Education for offering 8 Master’s and 3 doctorate programs.
Wenzhou is one of the most vibrant and economically advanced developed cities on China's East Coast, located one hour by plane and just over three hours by high-speed train from Shanghai.
The College of Liberal Arts currently has three majors: English, Psychology, and Communications, and minors in Political Science, History, Art History, and Philosophy and Religion. We offer core courses in Social Sciences and Humanities. We are looking for candidates who will contribute to the growth of the College as we continue to build new majors and course offerings and establish a new Interdisciplinary Research Center in Pacific-Atlantic studies.
About the Role:
The College of Liberal Arts at WKU is seeking candidates from a variety of subfields in Art History, particularly:
- East Asian Art History
- Modern Art History
- History of Design
Successful candidates should be prepared to teach introductory Art History courses as well as upper-level electives in the field.
We seek candidates with ambitious research agendas in their fields and will contribute to the interdisciplinary strengths of the College of Liberal Arts. Successful candidates will demonstrate a commitment to providing and enhancing student research opportunities.
In addition to teaching and research, faculty are expected to contribute to the growth of the programs, including, but not limited to curriculum development, program assessment, student recruitment/ advisement, office hours, senior project supervision, and internship opportunities.
All faculty positions are full-time assignments, effective for the start of the Spring 2023 semester or Fall 2023, subject to negotiation. The positions are renewed every three years.
- Tenure-track Assistant/Associate Professor
A tenure-track Assistant/Associate Professor is a full time, 10-month employee who teaches 24 credits per academic year (6-credit course release per academic year is available for grant proposal development and other substantial research initiatives in the first two years of appointment). Start-up grant will be provided to launch student-engaging research programs. Candidate will be expected to participate in the full range of faculty responsibilities, including high quality teaching, research, advising; student learning support; service to the university and/or professional community. Tenure-track appointment requires publications in internationally recognized and rigorously peer-reviewed journals in Political Science/International Relations or other closely related subjects.
A Lecturer is a full-time, 11-month employee who teaches 39 credits per year and provides student and learning support services during the assigned period. Lecturers will be expected to provide high quality teaching, student advisement and learning support services, and service to the university and/or professional community; and perform related work as required. All faculty may be required to teach General Education courses as needed. Opportunities are also available to teach disciplinary support courses. Candidates with an interest in teaching across disciplines are encouraged to apply.
A PhD in Art History or a related field is required. ABD will be considered with completion prior to the effective date of employment. The successful candidate must have a record of excellence in research and scholarship. A minimum of two years of teaching experience in a college or university setting is preferred. Native English speakers or equivalent English proficiency is required.
Faculty positions at WKU offer:
- Annual salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience with the range from $60,000-$65,000 for lecturers, $65,000-$72,000 for Assistant Professors; $70,000-$75,000 for Associate Professors. Salary of extraordinary candidates shall be determined on a case by case basis.
- The University will provide start-up grants to support the tenure track candidates to start their research programs.
- A well-rounded healthcare coverage, academic travel up to $2,000, housing options and subsidy up to $3,000, home traveling up to $6,000 (2 international round-trip airfares), a reimbursement to cover relocation expenses up to $1,000, shuttle bus to campus for work, and up to 8% front-load retirement benefits within accordance with completion of years of service with the University.
- WKU tuition waiver up to 80% for spouse/dependent children of faculty for undergraduate programs, and tuition discount of private/international kindergarten, elementary, middle and high schools for children of faculty.
- The opportunity to teach high quality students with more than 60% of WKU graduates being admitted to the graduate programs of highly ranked universities globally.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until positions are filled. Please send cover letter, resume, statement of teaching philosophy, research statement (tenure track position), unofficial transcripts and contact information of three professional references by email to Search Committee Chairperson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Art History Search” in the subject. Official transcripts for all degrees and three current letters of recommendation are required before appointment.
Wenzhou-Kean University conducts background screenings on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third-party administrator to conduct background Screenings.