2023 Computer Science Lecturer / Assistant Professor / Associate Professor
- WENZHOU - KEAN UNIVERSITY
- Wenzhou, China
- 17 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 18 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors, Lecturers / Assistant Professors
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Wenzhou-Kean University (WKU), located in Wenzhou, China, one of three Sino-American universities along with NYU Shanghai and Duke Kunshan University, is approved by the Ministry of Education of China. Launched in 2012, WKU offers a unique model of higher education in partnership with Kean University, a comprehensive, public university in the state of New Jersey that is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. WKU sits on approximately 500 beautiful acres and currently enrolls about 4,200 students, and it is now in the midst of a rapid growth that will bring enrollment to 7,000 students within the next five years. All instruction is in English and all curriculum is provided by Kean University. In addition to its current 18 undergraduate programs, WKU has been approved by the Ministry of Education for offering 8 Master’s and 3 doctorate programs. Wenzhou is one of the most vibrant and economically advanced developed cities on China’s East Coast, located one hour by plane and three hours by high-speed train from Shanghai.
The department of computer science currently enrolls about 500 undergraduate and 10 graduate students.
About the Job:
College of Science, Mathematics and Technology is seeking tenure-track Assistant /Associate Professors, Lecturers and Visiting Professors in computer science. All faculty positions are effective for the start of the spring or fall 2023 semester.
The tenure-track Assistant/Associate Professor positions are 10-month full-time assignments appointed on an initial 3-year contract. Tenure-track faculty are required to teach 24 credits per academic year, conduct high quality student-engaging research, and provide service to the university and/or professional community. Tenure-track appointments require publications in well recognized and vigorously peer-reviewed international journals on Computer Science or other closely related subjects. Six credits teaching release time will be provided to new faculty each year for the first two years to support external research grant development and other significant research endeavors. General start-up grant and other internal research fund will be provided to assist new faculty to develop robust research agenda.
The lecturer positions are 11-month full-time assignments appointed on renewable three-year contracts. Full-time lecturers are expected to teach 39 credits per year, provide student and learning support services, and perform related work as required.
Visiting Professor positions are semester-based appointments. Visiting Professors are expected to teach 12 credits per semester and contribute to the development of the program.
All candidates must demonstrate a commitment to teaching and best practices in international education. Teaching assignments and related responsibilities may include day, evening and online courses. Interest or experience in using advanced instructional technologies to improve the teaching/learning process is highly desirable. All faculty may be required to teach General Education courses as needed. English fluency is required.
A doctorate degree in Computer Science or related field is required for tenure-track positions; ABD will be considered. Tenure-track candidates should have good publication record in such top computer science conferences as ICSE, KDD, AAAI, IJCAI, FOCS, CHI, SIGIR, SIGMOD, IDC, UbiComp, IUI, AIED, etc. Receiving a Ph.D. from reputable Computer Science programs and/or having work experience at world-renowned universities is preferred.
Lecturers must have a bachelor and a master degree in Computer Science or related field, and at least one year of teaching experience in colleges/universities, or 3+ years of working experiences in software industry/IT department.
Visiting Professors must have 5+ years industrial/teaching experiences. Candidates who have working experiences in computer/network security, financial technology, educational technology, and assistive technology are encouraged to apply.
English fluency and ability to teach introductory and intermediate Computer Science courses such as Introduction to Programming in Java/C/C++, Data Structures and Algorithms and Operating Systems are required for all positions. Candidate will also have opportunity of teaching graduate level courses in their fields of interest.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please send cover letter, resume, statement of teaching philosophy, statement of research goals, unofficial transcripts, three most recent publications (for Tenure Track Assistant professor positions) and contact information of three professional references by email to Search Committee Chairperson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Official transcripts for all degrees and three current letters of recommendation are required before appointment.
Tenure-track faculty and Lecturer positions at WKU offer:
- Annual salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience with the range from $65,000-72,000 for Lecturers, $70,000-$80,000 for Assistant Professors, $78,000-$90,000 for Associate Professors. Salary of extraordinary candidates shall be determined on a case by case basis.
- The University will provide start-up grants to support the tenure track faculty to start their research programs.
- A well-rounded healthcare coverage, academic travel up to $2,000, housing options and subsidy up to $3,000, home traveling up to $6,000 (2 international round-trip airfares), a reimbursement to cover relocation expenses up to $1,000, shuttle bus to campus for work, and up to 8% front-load retirement benefits with in accordance with completion of years of service with the University.
- WKU tuition waiver up to 80% for spouse/dependent children of faculty for undergraduate programs.
- The opportunity to teach high quality students with more than 60% of WKU graduates being admitted to the graduate programs of highly ranked universities globally.
- Extraordinarily strong candidates at Professor level may be considered for a special research track position with high research output expectations, low teaching load (1-1 or 2-0 load), generous research start-up funding (RMB 1-5 million), a 10-month salary of RMB 0.8-1.0 million (about USD $115-150K), and RMB 1 million in housing subsidy.
Wenzhou-Kean University conducts background screenings on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third-party administrator to conduct background Screenings.
Apply for 2023 Computer Science Lecturer / Assistant Professor / Associate Professor
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly