Research Fellow / Engineer, Protein Functional Characterization
- SINGAPORE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (SIT)
- 17 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 31 Dec 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Physical Sciences, Chemistry, Physics & Astronomy
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
As a University of Applied Learning, SIT works closely with industry in our research pursuits. Our research staff will have the opportunity to be equipped with applied research skill sets that are relevant to industry demands while working on research projects in SIT.
The primary responsibility of this role is to deliver on an industry innovation research project where you will be part of the research team to validate plant-based protein key functional characterization properties at different pH, ionic strength, and temperature. The researcher will also investigate the impact of extraction and fractionation of mung bean/rice/spent barley proteins by different processing method to understand the impact of processing conditions on protein functionality to support other team members to evaluate the feasibility of novel protein extraction methods.
- Participate in and manage the research project with Principal Investigator (PI), Co-PI and the research team members to ensure all project deliverables are met.
- Undertake these responsibilities in the project:
- Plan, organize, compare different standard and published methods to support the building up of routine automated protein functional characterization experiments, which is new to the market.
- Lead and support high quality publications to disseminate the applied research outcomes.
- Manage and complete the project by presenting the findings in conferences or meetings with industrial collaborator, submitting timely data & documents, and purchase chemicals or consumables.
- Consolidate the data in order to generate sufficient scientific evidence for meetings slides and report in conferences.
- Engage and communicate with vendors/suppliers for purchasing equipment and visit vendors’ facilities for both equipment evaluation and training purpose.
- Carry out Risk Assessment, and ensure compliance with Work, Safety and Health Regulations.
- Coordinate procurement and liaison with vendors/suppliers.
- Work independently, as well as within a team, to ensure proper operation and maintenance of equipment.
- Have relevant competence in the areas of food protein chemistry, food hydrocolloids, and food protein functional characterization for food processing and manufacturing.
- Have a degree in food science and technology, material science, chemistry, chemical engineering. Possessing a Master’s or PhD degree will be advantageous.
- Knowledge in rheology, polymer gels, food structure, emulsion, foams, thermal stability of biopolymers.
- Able to communicate with industrial collaborators to share key findings, seek supports, or conducting pilot plant trials.
Applications close: 31 Dec 2022 Singapore Standard Time