Professor, School of Internet of Things
- Suzhou, China
- 15 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 15 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science, Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Professors / Chairs
- Contract Type
- Full Time
School: School of Internet of Things, XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang)
Position: Professor and Dean
Academic Discipline: Electrical and electronics engineering, microelectronics engineering, integrated circuits design, integrated circuits fabrication, integrated circuits engineering, microprocessor systems, electromechanics systems, power electronics, digital VLSI design, CMOS digital integrated circuits.
Location: Taicang, Greater Suzhou, China
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT XJTLU ENTREPRENEUR COLLEGE (TAICANG)
In 2019, the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) was launched, as a pioneers of, and an educational model for, the future university and campus in developing talents and leaders to meet local, national, and global challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution.
Developed in collaboration with the Taicang Municipal Government and industry partners, the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) moved to the university’s newly opened award winning Taicang campus, within Greater Suzhou, in September 2022. As a result, there are opportunities at all levels for innovative academics in the fields represented by the following schools and education platforms:
- School of AI and Advanced Computing
- School of Intelligent Finance and Business
- School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem
- School of Internet of Things
- School of CHIPS
- School of Robotics
- School of Cultural Technology (part of the Academy of Film and Creative Technology)
- School of Film and TV Arts (part of the Academy of Film and Creative Technology, located in the SIP Campus)
- Entrepreneur and Enterprise Hub
ABOUT THE SCHOOL OF CHIPS
The School of CHIPS is one of the seven industry-themed Schools in the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang). Each School consists of an Education, Research and Development Institute (ERDI) for teaching and research collaboration, a one-stop School Office providing professional services to support student administration and activities, members of staff, and industry partners, and an affiliated School Joint-Venture Company or School Innovation Factory jointly established by XJTLU and the School’s partner for industry-embedded teaching, learning, practical, and other activities. The governance of the School is through a School Council. The Dean of School oversees the School Management Team as well as contributing to the leadership of the Taicang campus.
The School of CHIPS is jointly developed by the University and industry partners, Standard Science Chip Cloud Microelectronics and Shanghai Institute of Microsystem and Information Technology, to deliver the industry-themed programme(s). The first degree programme that the School has launched is BEng Microelectronic Science and Engineering with Contemporary Entrepreneurship.
Industry Partner Overview
TStandard Science Chip Cloud Microelectronics is a comprehensive technology enterprise specialising in investment in integrated circuit industry chain services. Under the guidance of Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai Institute of Microsystem and Information Technology is one of the earliest engineering research institutes in China. For more information please see https://www.sscc.tech/ and http://english.sim.cas.cn/
The School of CHIPS is adopting a new higher education model based upon the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE). SE is a new model developed by the University to address an increasingly networked and complex future of work in the 4th Industrial Revolution. The model is core to the University’s strategy for its next ten-year development focusing on innovation and entrepreneurship. SE aims to train syntegrative leaders with Management skills, International perspective, Discipline-specific knowledge, and adaptability in Industry (MIDI).
The position will attract academic leaders embodying these SE values and are passionate in engaging in a future-focused co-learning ecosystem comprising students, academics, practitioners, university, industry, and community. The School seeks a visionary leader who thrive by creating impact through authentic engagement, cross-boundary collaboration, collective learning and discovery, and action-oriented inquiries. The Dean is also a creative educator who adopts a systems mindset and use their knowledge, skills, and experiences to co-design and deliver an enriching educational experience for students. They view education as an integrative and life-long transformative process.
We are looking for an academic leader from candidates in the fields of electrical and electronics engineering, microelectronics engineering, integrated circuits design, integrated circuits fabrication, integrated circuits engineering, microprocessor systems, electromechanics systems, power electronics, digital VLSI design, CMOS digital integrated circuits. The Dean will be responsible for:
- Providing strategic leadership to drive the School’s next phase of development;
- Daily operation and administration in the School;
- Lead on the development and implementation of appropriate academic programmes at undergraduate, postgraduate taught and research levels;
- Lead the development and implementation of a strategic plan for the development of the school within the microelectronics industry, aligned to overarching College and University objectives.
- Reporting to and implementing decisions made by the Taicang Leadership Team;
- Preparing both the annual budget and report on financial accounts of the School;
- Developing School infrastructure, regulations and rules;
- Delivering excellent learning and teaching, industry-enhanced research, and enterprise engagement activities in the School;
- Personnel decisions including recruitment, staff development, retention, promotion, discipline, retention, and contract termination in the School;
- Working collaboratively with relevant School(s), College, University and founding partner University’s to identify opportunities for meaningful and genuine partnership and successful impact-creation for research;
- Engage actively with new educational models and embrace innovative, interactive, technology-enhanced learning, teaching, and assessment approaches; understand and have an entrepreneur and innovative mindset in line with College ethos;
- Maintain a strong personal external network to be able to access early-stage intelligence and good practice from across the research and entrepreneurial community and exert influence.
- Grow collaborations with companies and other non-academic organisations.
- Develop new income streams for the Hub, consistent with College and University strategies and goals.
- Be responsible for effective workforce planning within the Hub to assure delivery of the Strategic plan.
- Represent the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) at a senior level in government meetings, external forums, recruitment fairs, regional and national bodies.
- Perform any other worked related tasks assigned by the line manager, XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) Leadership Team or the University Senior Management Team.
- Candidate must have a doctoral research (normally PhD) degree or be able to demonstrate an equivalent professional practice and engagement.
- Candidates must be willing/able to actively engage with new educational models such as Syntegrative Education (SE).
- Demonstrable success in developing and implementing future-focused strategic plans which maximise opportunities and manage risk.
- Substantial experience and significant achievement at the leadership level in leaning and teaching, research, and business engagement and innovation in a higher education institution, or a similar industry context.
- Substantial experience of successful staff management with the demonstrated ability to exercise formal and informal leadership, to bring fresh thinking to tasks, to lead by example and support colleagues to succeed with a demonstrable commitment to promoting equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Candidates must have an international reputation and demonstrate impacts in relevant research fields and are expected to have a good sense of the technology trends and relevant research experience on industrial projects. Candidates should have experience to cooperate with industrial partners to develop R&D projects.
- Candidates must have rich experience in research, academic leadership, financial management, strategic planning, people management, as well as senior academic management experience in a university, research institution or similar functions/areas.
- Candidates must demonstrate a good track record of engagement with students and industry.
- A highly-developed external network and proven experience of operating at the most senior levels with a wide range of external stakeholders, sector networks, funders and government departments and agencies.
- A strong customer service ethos, ability and achievement in a services planning, coordination and delivery role, in driving team performance and implementing customer service measures.
- Credibility amongst academic leaders and external partners, personal authority and the ability to take key strategic decisions and represent the institution at a senior level.
- Candidates must have a high level of communicative competence in English.
- Candidates with administration and management experience in international universities or Sino-foreign joint universities are preferred.
- Candidates with knowledge of Chinese and UK regulatory frameworks of higher education would be an advantage.
- Some experience of working in a relevant industry would be an advantage.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
COPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Education allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Lave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China: XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website. Please click Apply button to access.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please contact the acting Dean of School Professor Eng Hwa Yap by email on EngHwa.Yap@xjtlu.edu.cn, or the Associate Principal of the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang), Professor Stuart Perrin on Stuart.Perrin@xjtlu.edu.cn, or the HRBP Huijuan Zhang on email@example.com.