Deputy Dean, Director of ERDI, School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem
SCHOOL: School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem
POSITION: Deputy Dean, Director of Education, Research and Development Institute, School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Mechanical, manufacturing, advanced/intelligent manufacturing, mechatronics, electrical and electronics, controls, materials, or robotics engineering; industrial/engineering management, internet of things, artificial intelligence, data science and analytics
Location: Taicang, Greater Suzhou, China
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has around 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT ENTREPRENEUR COLLEGE (TAICANG)
In 2019, the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) was launched, as a pioneers of, and an educational model for, the future university and campus in developing talents and leaders to meet local, national, and global challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution.
Developed in collaboration with the Taicang Municipal Government and industry partners, the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) moved to the university’s newly opened award winning Taicang campus, within Greater Suzhou, in September 2022. As a result, there are opportunities at all levels for innovative academics in the fields represented by the following schools and education platforms:
- School of AI and Advanced Computing
- School of Intelligent Finance and Business
- School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem
- School of Internet of Things
- School of CHIPS
- School of Robotics
- School of Cultural Technology (part of the Academy of Film and Creative Technology)
- School of Film and TV Arts (part of the Academy of Film and Creative Technology, located in the SIP Campus)
- Entrepreneur and Enterprise Hub
ABOUT THE SCHOOL OF INTELLIGENT MANUFACTURING ECOSYSTEM
The School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem is one of the seven industry-themed Schools in the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang). Each School consists of an Education, Research and Development Institute (ERDI) for teaching and research collaboration, a one-stop School Office providing professional services to support student administration and activities, members of staff, and industry partners, and an affiliated School Joint-Venture Company jointly established by XJTLU and the School’s partner for industry-embedded teaching, learning, practical, and other activities. The governance of the School is through a School Council. The Dean of School oversees the School Management Team as well as contributing to the leadership of the college.
The School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem is jointly developed by the University and an industry partner, Haier Group, to deliver the industry-themed programme(s). The first-degree programme that the School has launched for the Academic Year 2019/2020 is BEng Intelligent Manufacturing Engineering with Contemporary Entrepreneurship.
Industry Partner Overview:
The founding partner working in collaboration with XJTLU to co-develop the School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem is Haier Group.
Haier Group is a leading global provider of better-life solutions. In the process of continuous entrepreneurial innovation, Haier has transformed from a traditional manufacturing enterprise into a win-win IoT community ecology, leading global companies to take the lead in detonating the Internet of Things economy. More information please see http://www.haier.net/en/.
Responsibilities and Duties:
The Deputy Dean, who heads the school’s Education, Research and Development Institute – ERDI as Director, is a member of the School Management Team (SMT). The School Management Team is led by the Dean of School and comprised of the Director of ERDI, the CEO of School JV Company, and the School Manager.
The main duties of this position include:
- Work collaboratively with the Dean of School to:
- Lead the design, development, implementation, and ongoing monitoring of the School’s teaching and learning, research, industry partnerships, engagement, and innovation strategies.
- Lead and manage the School’s business engagement initiatives with a view to building an extensive portfolio of potential industry collaborative partnerships (alongside the School’s Business Development Manager).
- Promote, manage and contribute to the delivery of an effective programme of continuous development for academic members of staff to ensure they are equipped and supported to deliver high quality teaching and student experience, excel in their research, and contribute effectively to the School, College, and University.
- Create, nurture, and support a healthy research environment, with agreed annual research outcomes and expectations (alongside the College’s Research Engagement Manager).
- Manage investment funds which have been agreed by the Dean of School, Associate Principal, Principal or XJTLU’s Associate Vice President Research, for Research and Innovation
- Drive an emphasis on impact-creation through sustainable and unique value proposition in improving the School’s funded quality research and innovation and/or knowledge exchange activities (alongside the College’s Research Engagement Manager).
- Identify and implement strategies to maximise grant capture and research income, from both external funding bodies and business/industry (alongside the School’s Business Development Manager).
- Lead the development of School and organisational strategy by providing expertise and perform horizon scanning for the development of new opportunities at home and abroad.
- Lead the University and College initiatives such as liaising with industrial partnerships, mentoring and supporting early career academics, and undertake reasonable administrative responsibilities.
- Work collaboratively with Programme Director(s), academic members of staff, and School Office to:
- Promote, manage and contribute to the delivery and development of appropriate undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes to the required standards expected by the ministry, university academic regulatory framework, and where necessary, appropriate professional, statutory and regulatory bodies.
- Promote best practice in relation to innovative assessment design across the School, ensuring efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of appropriate assessment and feedback to meet the needs of all stakeholders.
- Ensure that the school and curriculum design delivers an inclusive, enriching, and enabling learning experience, as evidenced through student satisfaction, personal development and positive degree outcomes, and to work with industry partners to achieve this.
- Lead the continuous development and improvement of the VLE and technology-enhanced teaching to enable and support academic staff’s engagement in approaches that promote student-led learning and supports student success.
- Work collaboratively with relevant School(s), College and University entities to identify opportunities for meaningful and genuine partnership and successful impact-creation for research.
- Maintain a sustained a record of successful PhD supervision.
- Demonstrate evidence of good, sustained, and successful leadership of research grants and consultancy contracts.
- Conduct high-quality research, evidenced by publications in leading journals.
- Create, develop and manage successful research partnerships with academic institutions, industry and external organisations.
- Support innovative cross-disciplinary research and become an ambassador for the School for the promotion of cross-boundary research and teaching activities.
- Engage actively with new educational models and embrace innovative, interactive, technology-enhanced learning, teaching, and assessment approaches; understand and have an entrepreneur and innovative mindset in line with College ethos.
- Deliver high-quality teaching to undergraduate and graduate students, as evidenced for example by peers, students and external examiners.
- Supervise undergraduate students and postgraduate students.
- Represent and deputise for the Dean of School where necessary, within the College, University and externally as appropriate.
- Any other appropriate tasks assigned by the University SMT, School Council or Taicang Leadership Team through the Dean of School.
The School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem adopts a new higher education model based upon the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE). SE is a new model developed by the University to address an increasingly networked and complex future of work in the 4th Industrial Revolution. The model is core to the University’s strategy for its next ten-year development focusing on innovation and entrepreneurship. SE aims to train syntegrative leaders with Management skills, International perspective, Discipline-specific knowledge, and adaptability in Industry (MIDI).
This role will attract academic leaders embodying Syntegrative Education (SE) values and are passionate in engaging in a future-focused co-learning ecosystem comprising students, academics, practitioners, university, industry, and community. The Deputy Dean(Director, ERDI) is a leader who thrives by creating impact through managing, nurturing, and enabling authentic engagement, cross-boundary collaboration, collective learning and discovery programmes and activities. The postholder adopts a systems mindset, understands transdisciplinarity and complexity, uses his/her knowledge, skills, and experiences to deliver success and create impact for the School, College and University.
- Candidates must hold a doctoral (normally PhD) degree in mechanical, manufacturing, advanced/intelligent manufacturing, mechatronics, electrical and electronics, controls, materials, or robotics engineering; industrial/engineering management, internet of things, artificial intelligence, data science and analytics from a world-renowned university, or able to demonstrate an equivalent professional practice and engagement to a similar level.
- Clear understanding of the philosophy and concept of Syntegrative Education (SE) and demonstrable past teaching/industry/leadership experiences or practices aligned with Syntegrative Education (SE).
- Candidates shall become familiar with and observe China and United Kingdom’s rules, regulations, and expectations of higher education.
- Candidates shall have outstanding leadership and management experience, and ability to motivate and inspire teams with excellent people skills.
- Candidates must have a national, regional or international reputation and demonstrate impacts in any of the research and innovation fields relevant to the School.
- Candidates are expected to have a good sense of emergences, disruptions, national directives, technology trends and relevant research experience on industrial projects. Candidates should have the experience to cooperate with industrial partners to develop R&D projects.
- Candidates must have rich experience in teaching, research, academic leadership, innovation and entrepreneurship, strategic planning and financial management in a university and/or business environment.
- Excellent networking skills and an ability to build and nurture external contacts and partnerships, working with business other organisations in the area of innovation and business support to the benefit of the school.
- Excellent organisational, implementation and monitoring skills to deliver successful outcomes.
- Candidates must demonstrate a good track record of engagement with students and industry.
- Candidates must have a high level of communicative competence in English; an equivalent knowledge of Chinese would be an advantage.
- Candidates with administration and management experience in international universities or Sino-foreign joint universities would be an advantage.
- Some experience of working in a relevant industry would be an advantage.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Education allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China: XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website: https://career15.sapsf.cn/career?career_company=xjtlu
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email to Professor Eng Hwa Yap, Acting Dean of School by email on EngHwa.Yap@xjtlu.edu.cn or to HRBP on email@example.com.