Lecturer / Senior Lecturer in Statistical Data Science
- UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- Camperdown, Australia
- $113K - $159K + 17% superannuation
- 09 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 09 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors, Lecturers / Assistant Professors
- Contract Type
- Full Time
- 2 x full time, continuing positions. Located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of Mathematics and Statistics
- Join a world-class community of data scientists, statisticians and mathematicians
- Base Salary, Level B/C $113K - $159K + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The School of Mathematics and Statistics is seeking to appoint two Lecturers / Senior Lecturers in Statistical/Mathematical Data Science who will have the opportunity to make a significant contribution to teaching and learning design, delivery, and evaluation in the area of statistical/mathematical data science while continuing to build the research contribution, expertise, connections and impact.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- work closely with other school members in statistical/mathematical data science and related areas
- conduct high-quality research in statistical/mathematical data science or related areas
- teach graduate and undergraduate courses in data science, a variety of statistics subjects, and mathematics for students from different disciplinary backgrounds
- commit to flexible work arrangements and curriculum development of Master of Data Analytics
- supervise and coordinate graduate and undergraduate students
- attract external funding and connect with partners.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for Lecturers / Senior Lecturers in Statistical/Mathematical Data Science who have:
- a PhD (or near completion) in Data Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Mathematics, CS, or related areas
- evidence of independent research, compatible with the standards at The University of Sydney
- evidence of ability, versatility, and commitment to excellence in teaching
- a developing network of relationships with key academic, industry, and professional institutions
- a developing knowledge of the key strategic issues in data science and the higher education sector
- experience of supervising students and coordinating team activitie
- additional requirement for Senior Lecturer position is experience of supervising students at postgraduate level.
The commencement level will be determined based on the candidate's skills, experience and knowledge.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds and also from those interested in flexible work arrangements and fractional appointments.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Sunday 09 April 2023 11:59 PM