Senior Lecturer in Education
- UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST OF SCOTLAND
- KA8 0SX, Ayr
- AC4: £53,353 to £61,823 per annum
- 08 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 13 Feb 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Social Sciences, Education
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
School of Education and Social Sciences
Full-time, Fixed term, until December 2024
The Post – Senior Lecturer in Education (Early Years)
The University of the West of Scotland (UWS) is one of the country’s largest modern universities and aims to have a transformational influence on the economic, social and cultural development of the West of Scotland, and beyond. UWS has a distinctive multi campus portfolio, with campuses in Ayr, Dumfries, Lanarkshire, London and Paisley and over 100 international partners.
An exciting opportunity has arisen within the School of Education and Social Sciences – Division of Education for an enthusiastic Senior Lecturer in Education (Early Years).
Self-motivated and able to work both as part of the Early Years Team and across the wider Division, you will teach on our undergraduate and Postgraduate Early Years programmes and offer support to students generally. The successful candidate will also be expected to contribute to Masters and doctoral supervision. You will be involved in developing the curriculum within the School, coordinating modules within early years programmes and will support students on placement. This post also involves undertaking research within one of the School’s research centres.
The successful candidate should have the following:
- Degree and relevant postgraduate/PhD qualification or equivalent qualification
- Be registered (or be eligible to register) with Scottish Social Services Council or The General Teaching Council for Scotland
- Experience of learning, teaching and assessment within early years education.
- Have experience of delivering and developing modules across the curricular areas of Childhood Studies and Childhood Practice at undergraduate and post-graduate levels;
- and experience of hybrid delivery of learning and teaching and of use of authentic/real-world assessment approaches
- Commitment to delivering high quality teaching and supporting an outstanding student experience.
The post is full-time and based at the Ayr campus. You will need to travel to other campuses, and internationally, where required.
UWS was named Higher Educational Institution of the Year in The Herald Higher Education Awards 2022 and is officially ranked by Times Higher Education in the top 600 universities worldwide (2022 World University Rankings) as well as in the top 150 universities worldwide under 50 years old (2022 Young University Rankings). University of the West of Scotland is one of Scotland’s largest and most dynamic modern universities. Our reach across the country, together with our London campus, means that UWS is a significant force in global knowledge creation, innovation, and a leading provider of undergraduate, postgraduate and research degree education. Our degrees provide students with a transformational experience; equipping them with highly sought-after graduate skills that set them up for global success in world-leading sectors, industries and businesses.
With cutting-edge courses, modern pedagogy and practical knowledge, we enable our students and staff to experience the joy of learning, teaching, research and innovation, and apply their knowledge for the benefit of others.
The School of Education & Social Sciences at UWS combines sector-leading education provision with strong expertise in social science teaching and research in the west of Scotland and beyond. You will join a supportive and committed team, playing a crucial role in the School’s commitment to social justice and making a difference locally, nationally and internationally. Our students benefit from innovative, practice-focused and research-informed courses, and deep-rooted partnerships with leading organisations across the world.
We offer our staff a caring and supportive environment, across five campuses, and a competitive benefits package which includes:
- 35 days of annual leave, plus a further 12 days for public/university holidays
- 23% employer’s pension contribution, including death in service benefits on joining the pension scheme
- A flexible approach to working pattern and work-life balance
- Employee discount scheme across 3,500 retailers
- Fitness facilities across our campuses
- Access to a range of health and wellbeing resources, including occupational health, physiotherapy and access to our Employee Assistance Programme
- Professional, career and research development opportunities.
Closing Date: Friday 3rd March 2023
Interviews: Tuesday 14th March 2023
The University reserves the right to shorten/extend the closing date of any position where a high/low volume of suitable applications are received. Therefore, if you are interested in this role, an early application would be encouraged.
UWS is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from underrepresented groups.
UWS is a “Disability Confident” employer.
University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity, no. SC002520.