Administrative Assistant (PET)
- KINGS COLLEGE LONDON
- London (Central), London (Greater) (GB)
- £26,662 - £29,642 per annum, including London Weighting Allowance
- 08 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 22 Feb 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Life sciences
- Job Type
- Professional Services
- Contract Type
- Full Time
To become a member of the PET administrative team responsible for the provision of clerical administrative support in all aspects of the PET Centre's activities. This will cover both St Thomas’ Hospital and Guy’s Cancer Centre and will include clinical, research and radiochemistry service provision and will be working under the direction of the PET Operations Officer.
The post holder will assist with maintaining departmental records in an organised and accessible manner in addition to preparing patients records for filing and scanning. They will also contribute to general clerical activities including processing patient appointment letters, collating scanning lists in addition to calling and communicating PET protocol to patients before the scan appointment.
This is a full-time position involving a high level of patient contact both face to face and by telephone and requires well developed, verbal, organisational, computing skills and accuracy. The post holder must be able to remain calm and project a welcoming and friendly manner recognising that patients may be nervous and under stress when they are contacted or attend for scan appointments.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract
This is a full-time post
• To assist the PET administrative team with general administrative duties and as required reception duties.
• To assist with the preparation of daily PET scanning lists (cross site).
• To assist in the daily confirmation of upcoming PET appointments via telephone, which will necessitate gaining knowledge of the general PET protocol and advising the patient of our requirements
• To check all records against prepared scanning lists and ensure that the lists accurately match.
• To be responsible for ensuring that incoming/outgoing post is collected/delivered to the post room on a daily basis.
• To file PET requests as they are appointed and patients informed.
• To assist with departmental photocopying and scanning cross-site.
• To respond as required to the PET Centre’s generic emails.
• To tidy waiting area at the end of each working day and replenish refreshment supplies
• To identify patient records for retention (research and paediatrics) and sort all other files, keeping essential documents and correctly file.
• To be familiar with Trust wide databases such as EPR, Pims, PMI and have the ability to interrogate the same as required.
• When required, to support the radiochemistry laboratory staff in their paperwork and administrative requirements.
• To chase and/or pass on the deliveries and post for the radiochemistry laboratory department in a timely manner.
• To ensure that fax machine and printers are loaded with paper at the end of each day.
• To participate with other members of the administrative team in the on-going development of the administrative procedures.
• To receive telephone calls in a professional and friendly manner with the ability to remain calm and polite under pressure, taking messages, redirecting or acting on as appropriate.
• To communicate effectively with colleagues within KCL and Guy’s & St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, externally and internally.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Educated to GCSE level
2. Excellent literacy & numeracy
3. General administrative experience
4. Maintenance of accurate filing systems
5. Excellent communication and face to face interpersonal skills with people at all levels
6. Well-ordered and accurate record keeping
7. Good organisational skills
8. Good spoken English and excellent telephone manner
9. Good Excel & database skills
10. Good word processing, e-mail and internet skills
11. Ability to respond to non-standard situations and work calmly under pressure
12. Good networking skills
1. Knowledge/experience of managing patient administration and management databases
2. Working in a hospital/medical environment
3. Willing to work flexible hours