Assistant/Associate Professor in Literature/Children Literature
- QATAR UNIVERSITY
- Qatar (QA)
- 08 Feb 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 16 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Arts & Humanities, Languages, Literature & Linguistics
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors, Lecturers / Assistant Professors
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students - are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses nine departments covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Languages, Humanities, Sociology, Social Work, International Affairs, Mass Communication, Psychology, Policy, Planning & Development, Mathematics, Statistics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Environmental Science, and Material Science. The College also houses Master Programs, which are in Environmental Science, Gulf Studies, Material Science, Applied Statistics and Arabic Language. In Fall 2013, CAS launched a Ph.D. in Biological and Environmental Sciences. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. In addition to the established research centres, namely the Center for Sustainable Development and Gulf Studies Center.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is a major source of research funding, with an individual project funding limit exceeding 600,000 $/project and student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of the QNRF awards, with many research-active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Department of English Literature and Linguistics invites applications for an Assistant/Associate Professor level position in English Literature. We are seeking someone who has demonstrated expertise and effectiveness in teaching Children’s Literature, in addition to teaching a broad range of undergraduate courses in English Literature. They will have evidence of relevant research in that discipline published in reputed refereed journals and demonstrate the ability that they intend to use their research background to collaborate with existing scholars in the Department and College who pursue different theoretical interests. Demonstrated expertise in other disciplines such as the Novel and the Short Story is an asset. Interdisciplinary interests are particularly welcome.
Additional responsibilities include contributing to the university core curriculum; supervising graduation projects; contributing to various committees at the Department, College, and University levels; contributing to the research profile of the College through innovative and interdisciplinary research publications; being an active member in the department, college, and university communities; and other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department.
The Department of English Literature and Linguistics is committed to familiarizing students with the theoretical aspect of the study of literature and to building an inclusive intellectual community.
The ideal candidate must demonstrate experience and effectiveness in the following categories: teaching introductory courses in literature, use of technology in teaching and research; establishing and/or maintaining contemporary pedagogies; academic advising and program development; innovative scholarship and professional activities; and effective institutional and/or community service.
- PhD in Literature from a reputable and recognized institution.
- Specialization in Children’s Literature or a closely related literary discipline
- An international standard research record with history publishing in Q1 journals in the field.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience teaching at undergraduate and or postgraduate levels, following the PhD Degree.
- Familiarity with educational technologies used in higher education.
- Willingness to work with teams and with people from diverse backgrounds and in various Qatar University units.
- Ability to initiate and be involved in collaborative interdisciplinary research and joint grant applications in collaborations with researchers from allied fields (psychology, social studies, history, among others).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Cover letter.
- Current Curriculum Vitae reflecting the following information:
- Years of experience after PhD
- H index
- Google scholar link
- ORCID number
- Number of publications published in Q1 journals during the last 5 years
- Number of publications published in Q2 journals during the last 5 years
- Number of publications published in Q3 journals during the last 5 years
- Number of publications published in Q4 journals during the last 5 years
- Number of publications published in Non-indexed Journals
- Number of Published Books
- Number of Published Chapter of Books
- Number of Graduate Students supervised and the role
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, a copy of the certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation deemed relevant to the application.
In case of queries, please email the Head of Department email@example.com
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.
Job Category Academic
End Date of Advertisment 16-Mar-2023